PDA

View Full Version : Pages not updating

pigman
01-23-2009, 03:31 PM
I have what I think is a problem with CS3. I create a site and make a template, let's call it main.dwt it is save properly and I use it to create 20 pages. Then I decide to change the logo image file. I open main.dwt, make the change and upload main.dwt and the correct image file. I look at the live page and the change hasn't happened.

I need to upload all the 20 pages again for the change to take effect.

I thought that the whole idea of using a template was that a change in the template affect every page created with that template and therefore uploading the new template should change live pages.

This is not a browser cache problem, it doesn't matter what browser I try, I have the same unaltered pages.

Have I missed setting something up properly? I am not a 'power user', just a simple (and I mean simple!) designer.

Is it me or is there a CS3 bug?

TIA

Tim

coloeagle
01-23-2009, 03:35 PM
Can you give us a url or post the code

Corrosive
01-23-2009, 03:38 PM
I need to upload all the 20 pages again for the change to take effect.

I thought that the whole idea of using a template was that a change in the template affect every page created with that template and therefore uploading the new template should change live pages.

You'll still need to upload the updated pages. IMHO if you are looking at producing a lot of pages then look at PHP options which will update lots of live pages. I think you reckon templates should do more than they can.

pigman
01-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the responses.

Thanks coloeagle I think I now understand a little better about how templates work. I hadn't realised that the template creates the code at the top of the page! I assumed that the template code was dragged from the template on the fly.

Silly me - now I do understand I'm off to start learning CSS!

Thanks guys

Tim

edbr
01-24-2009, 12:35 AM
this is a great example where includes would answer what you are looking for

pigman
01-24-2009, 11:25 AM
edbr - you are a genius! Thank you, I had never heard of the 'include' function before you mentioned it - it is execellent and I can see that it could save hours of work!

Thank you so much.

Tim

Corrosive
01-24-2009, 02:55 PM
edbr - you are a genius!

It has been known :wink: