PDA

View Full Version : CSS/Dreamweaver: Question about adding pages and some things not changing with css changes.

dreamweaverntn
01-23-2009, 02:17 AM
Hi,
I'm new to CSS but very good with Dreamweaver.
I am learning to build sites with the included layouts in DW.
I don't understand a couple of things and wondered if you could help.

#1 BUILDING NEW PAGES.
File, new html layout, new css file created.
I know how to "link" the new css page from the css panel. But, I don't understand, using css, how you "build" additional pages? Just change the content and save as?
If so, then for example, you want to change the background color of you site, as a whole.
Without directly modifying the css code on the css page, you have to work thru DW design view.
So, in design view WHICH page do you make the changes on that are to be saved on the css stylesheet and linked to other pages? and how are those changes saved back to the css file?

I've tried this making two new pages (save as and rename).
And the other pages change when I make a change on one as it is reflected in the CSS page.

#2: Some things don't change on other pages.
Some things don't change if you change on one page. The page background color for instance. I can change it on one page and it doesn't change on the others that are linked to the same css page.
Why is that? What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!

edbr
01-23-2009, 02:39 AM
try refreshing your browser

Corrosive
01-23-2009, 06:20 AM
Hi,
I'm new to CSS but very good with Dreamweaver.
I am learning to build sites with the included layouts in DW.
I don't understand a couple of things and wondered if you could help.

#1 BUILDING NEW PAGES.
File, new html layout, new css file created.
I know how to "link" the new css page from the css panel. But, I don't understand, using css, how you "build" additional pages? Just change the content and save as?
If so, then for example, you want to change the background color of you site, as a whole.
Without directly modifying the css code on the css page, you have to work thru DW design view.
So, in design view WHICH page do you make the changes on that are to be saved on the css stylesheet and linked to other pages? and how are those changes saved back to the css file?

I've tried this making two new pages (save as and rename).
And the other pages change when I make a change on one as it is reflected in the CSS page.

Any page with a stylesheet linked will update with changes to the CSS file. If you make an adjustment to an element of page in Design View, and it is linked to a stylesheet, then that change will update the stylesheet automatically and so update any other pages linked to it.

If you want to start creating multiple pages of similar layout I'd suggest using Dreamweaver's template system. Intro here...

http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/dreamweaver-templates.php

This means you can make site-wide style and content changes.

#2: Some things don't change on other pages.
Some things don't change if you change on one page. The page background color for instance. I can change it on one page and it doesn't change on the others that are linked to the same css page.
Why is that? What am I doing wrong?

Page background automatically puts the <body> tag styles in the head tags of an individual page. Don't know why, it just does...bit retarded if you ask me. This means that changes to one page will only effect that one page. When you style the <body> tag make sure you are styling it in your separate sheet and not the head tags of the individual page. Cut and paste the body {} styles to your separate sheet. This will make future background colour changes site-wide as well.

Last thing...if you are 'very good with Dreamweaver' then use code view rather than design view. You'll get a much better understanding of what is going on and you'll be able to spot what is going on with this kind of stuff.

dreamweaverntn
01-23-2009, 04:59 PM
Corrosive,
Thanks for your reply. It helps make sense. I am frustrated as I begin to learn CSS in that many people say "it's easy!" or just go here and learn. When, in fact, it is not easy and tutorials most of the time go into such basic stuff that it totally bores the reader/listener and nothing is learned.
I have remaining questions like:
HOW do I know when to use which selector?
Class, Tag? Pseudo? I'm still learning those.
And WHAT is not included in an html page that is on the css sheet?

And I need to correct something: When I said I was "very good" with DW, I misspoke. I meant I am very good with Design view, tables, and dragging dropping, etc. Certainly not the code view, but I am learning!
And I enjoy learning this, it's fun for me. I actually have a "real" fulltime job, I just took this up as a hobby and it grew.
But, again, thanks for the answers.
Oh...I cut out the body tags from the head of that one page and it took the css body color then. I didn't paste it. I just removed the, default, I guess...body and curly brackets from the head.
And thanks~!
Mark

Corrosive
01-23-2009, 05:32 PM
Corrosive,
Thanks for your reply. It helps make sense. I am frustrated as I begin to learn CSS in that many people say "it's easy!" or just go here and learn. When, in fact, it is not easy and tutorials most of the time go into such basic stuff that it totally bores the reader/listener and nothing is learned.

I agree with pretty much all you've said here. I found it hard to get good tuts when I started all I wanted explaining was the basics. You'll be glad you found this site :wink:

Tags are pre-defined, like h1, h2, p, body etc. You can style them but cannot change their name.

Classes you can make up what you want to call them and you can use them multiple times through your page. Think about repeating elements such as graphic box headers.

Ids you can call them what you want but only use them once in a page. Maybe your site banner or footer something like that

Your content is in the html and all your styles/layout etc. should be in the style sheet. Without the style sheet your site should just read like a list.

And I need to correct something: When I said I was "very good" with DW, I misspoke. I meant I am very good with Design view, tables, and dragging dropping, etc. Certainly not the code view, but I am learning!

Fair shout. It does help us to 'pitch' our answers correctly if you explain how much you know about DW or web design in general. You have only just scratched the surface if you are still using tables.

Oh...I cut out the body tags from the head of that one page and it took the css body color then. I didn't paste it. I just removed the, default, I guess...body and curly brackets from the head.
And thanks~!
Mark

No problem. View>source on your browser and look at some sites, free templates etc. See how they are built. You'll get an idea.

dreamweaverntn
01-23-2009, 05:49 PM
All of this information and this site is, already, like water to the thirsty.
I have actually held off on making anymore sites until I'm proficient with CSS and left the tables and convert most of my sites, only 10 or so, to CSS base.
I bought a book, Mastering Dreamweaver CS2 and CSs and it has helped. But it is very indepth and certainly NOT for beginners.
In learning CSS, I do laugh to myself at this CSS-theology:
"To chage a font size, not a problem with CSS! Simply create a new rule, go to the bla bla bla and change the size. Then go here and highlight the font and then apply the rule and voila! A bigger font!"
Errr....I just wanted a bigger T. :)

I thank you again and look forward to asking some questions this weekend as I dig deeper past the surface I have just scratched.
Mark

coloeagle
01-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Ok, Looks like another great student for the (Corrosive ColoEagle)CCE University of CSS. :-D
When deciding to assign class or id to a css element. Ask yourself two things.
1. Will this only be used once per page or multiple times?
2. Will I be linking to this specific div or tag?

Examples for question #1;
Usually a wrapper will only be used once as this div will contain all the other styling divs. Good place to use the id designation.
Use the set styling multiple times such as the ability to style text a certain color. ie .blue {color:blue;} good place for a class designation.

Example for question #2;
Take an FAQ page. If you assign an id to each answer you can make the question a link to the appropriate answer.
Example:<a href="#answerone">Question One</a>
<p id="answerone">Answer to question one</p>Pseudo elements refer to parts of the document that you cannot directly access through the HTML.
Example if you want the first letter of all paragraphs to be larger and bolded you can use the first-letter pseudo element.
::first-letter
{
font-size:2em;
font-weight:bold;
}