PDA

View Full Version : I'm new, this is probably in the wrong forum.

scrambling4info
01-16-2009, 04:55 AM
Hello I am new to web design and had a question for those who are more seasoned than me.

I am trying to figure out the best way to create nice looking web pages, I am learning them on illustrator as per lynda.com, however I had a question about a website like this one, www.vurbmoto.com does anyone have any idea how they were able to embed the slideshow so seamlessly? Also, am I correct in relying on illustrator and photoshop to create a personalized design? Any help would be excellent, thanks.

edbr
01-16-2009, 06:04 AM
its mainly constucted with divs and uses some tables also.
the only way to make a site is using Html and at best css sheets to style it. making pages purely form images will restrict you in the end. c

WallyJ
01-26-2009, 03:21 PM
To answer both questions...

The website you mentioned seems to be using Joomla which is a preconfigured CMS that also has the mod_gk_news_image module installed which handles that slideshow. And I think the module uses AJAX to refresh the images from a list.

Also, there are many designers that use Photoshop (Not illustrator so much) to create the look of their site, but they then set up the slices (Photoshop term) to cut that large image into the images that will make up the html table structure. You should search for "Photoshop slice tutorial" or something like that to get you on your way to many sites out there that will teach you this method.

You can then take that basic structure and apply css styles to the text, add forms, etc. Whatever you'd like.

WallyJ

stickitup
01-26-2009, 03:31 PM
A small tip if you are using lots of photos is to get a program which strips all meta data from the photos re what camera they were taken with etc - which although it doesn't save much memory will save a little. It strips about 14k from each pic.

Corrosive
01-26-2009, 04:20 PM
A small tip if you are using lots of photos is to get a program which strips all meta data from the photos re what camera they were taken with etc - which although it doesn't save much memory will save a little. It strips about 14k from each pic.

Good tip Stickitup :)

domedia
01-26-2009, 05:31 PM
Keep in mind that the meta data is actually pretty useful information, so make sure you really want to strip this out before doing so.

d a v e
01-26-2009, 06:38 PM
usually when you save for web in ps, or export from a similar program it obviously doesn't include the metadata in the export.

stickitup
01-27-2009, 09:27 AM
Keep in mind that the meta data is actually pretty useful information, so make sure you really want to strip this out before doing so.
true, best to search out a stripper which lets you choose which parts of the metadata you remove. But as said exporting for web strips metadata, I had forgotten to mention that.