PDA

View Full Version : having ftp trouble

walkamongus
01-14-2009, 06:23 PM
hi all, im having problems connecting to my clients host. shes using 1&1 (anyone know of it?). ive followed the directions they provide for connecting but i get a dialogue that says "FTP error occurred - cannot make connection to host", then it has suggestions.

the only thing fishy ive noticed is that when i check out her account on her hosts website, it says that the domain is locked... could that be the problem? if anyone can help, id really appreciated it!

thanks!

walkamongus
01-14-2009, 07:34 PM
nevermind got it! silly problem, just had the http address wrong.

but i have a second question, is it ok if i delete everything on the remote server before i put my content up? or are there some files i should keep? this is my first build job and ive never had to deal with another designers leftovers

edbr
01-15-2009, 12:17 AM
if your site is working on your local computer then the only files you need are those files in your root folder , if you are unsure you should download all the files as a back up to a new folder on your computer as a safe guard then delete an transfer your new site files. one thing to watch for are mail handling scripts

walkamongus
01-15-2009, 08:11 PM
ok, on the remote server, there is a folder "/" that i cannot delete. also, the webdesigner before me named his folders "wsb", "gal", and "dsc"... each have a string of ten numbers afterwards. is this significant?

when i replace the old site with mine and check it, i get a "url cannot be found page"... :confused:

walkamongus
01-15-2009, 08:33 PM
i restarted DW and now i cant even connect to the remote even though i didnt change any of the site info!!!:roll:

if anyone has some insight please help a confused newb out

godaddy was super smooth compared to this

walkamongus
01-15-2009, 10:06 PM
i think i fixed it... by placing my files in one of the numbered folders that was already there...