PDA

View Full Version : Browser differences-gaps in some, not others

KmanStudios
01-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Hi, I'm new to this place and new to web design. I'm hammering out my own website (Mostly animation and video) and have run into an interesting problem. I tried to find if this has been covered before, but, I do not know enough to know what to search for. Sorry, if this has been covered before.

Anyway, go to www.kmanstudios.com in IE and Firefox and you will see what I am talking about. I do not know how to describe it other than gaps and offset images. It look proper in IE, but, messed up in almost all other browsers. (I did find the post about 'Browser shot'. Thanks!! That's a great find.

Anyway, thanks for helping the complete noob.

Eric

domedia
01-12-2009, 10:20 PM
Not sure on the approach here..
Your layout is made by putting sliced images inside a bunch of DIV tags, much like the old table layouts were.

For starters I would suggest just saving the background as one image and add it as a background image where it belongs. That would remove the need for the row of DIV's with no meaning.

Welcome to the forums btw :)

KmanStudios
01-12-2009, 11:59 PM
Thanks. Yep, it's a bunch of AP Div slices. I just hacked into Dreamweaver yesterday and today to try and make a design work. It was the only quick solution I could find. I did not want to use a giant image as it was 2.5 MB. But, I did go in and compress the various slices.

I'll find more elegant solutions as I get deeper. I did solve the problem by making the gaping parts AP Div too. It'll do until I learn more.

domedia
01-13-2009, 08:36 PM
You have to learn HTML and CSS first I think.
You need to understand how a webpage works and what the different things mean before attempting to make a website.

The background image will be no larger than 20kb, but I don't think you understand the web graphics formats either :wink:

There's alot to this, and you have to give it a few weeks training and reading at least I think before you can get something decent up.