PDA

View Full Version : Keep Text area fixed

urbanrays
01-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Hi

A couple of issues, the first one is the text area in my page, I would like to keep it a fixed area so it will only allow me to write a certain amount of text or images etc in that area

I have uploaded the page so you can see with a little explanation on what I want to do within the page

www.urbanrays.co.uk (http://www.urbanrays.co.uk)

The second fault I have found that in Chrome "content_bottom" is half way through the image where in IE7 it sits quite far down (not tested in any other browser yet)

Thanks for any help

urbanrays
01-11-2009, 12:17 PM
I also noticed in chrome that the a:hoverisnot working ok in ie7

coloeagle
01-11-2009, 12:40 PM
You will need to set the desired height for the text_area div. If any content is going to exceed this height you will need to add the overflow element.
overflow:auto; or overflow:hidden; this will create a scroll bar inside the div if content exceeds the set height.

What part of the a:hover are you having trouble with, the navigation or the general links?

urbanrays
01-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Just the navigation links in ie7 the blue box appears in chrome no box there.
The other links have not been sorted yet

coloeagle
01-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Have'nt tested this but try removing the background position and background repeat from the links.

FYI, as you have it now all your links will take on the same characteristics as your navigation links. You may want to designate a different style for your navigation links.

On my security site (In my sig) I have my navigation links similar to yours. Take a look at the css for these. no images and you only need to place the cursor over the area that holds the link and not only on the text.

urbanrays
01-11-2009, 02:00 PM
Ok thanks will have a look when I have finished this post, I have now managed to get "content_bottom" to where I want it.

Did this by giving "container" a specific size, the only issue now is the border in IE7 is fine but chrome a small gap between bottom part of the paper and the "content_bottom" border.

Again I havent tried this in any other browser yet (to scared to)

Thanks again

Corrosive
01-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Ok thanks will have a look when I have finished this post, I have now managed to get "content_bottom" to where I want it.

Did this by giving "container" a specific size, the only issue now is the border in IE7 is fine but chrome a small gap between bottom part of the paper and the "content_bottom" border.

Again I havent tried this in any other browser yet (to scared to)

Thanks again

Site looks much, much better mate. Nice and clean & simple. Good work :)

urbanrays
01-11-2009, 08:01 PM
I must admit it aint bad for saying about a 10 days ago you told me to come from tables and you told me to move to css, then I looked at css script and cried and cried.
I am getting there just having usual cross browsers issues and borders
not lining up.

coloeagle
01-11-2009, 11:00 PM
I must admit it aint bad for saying about a 10 days ago you told me to come from tables and you told me to move to css, then I looked at css script and cried and cried.
I am getting there just having usual cross browsers issues and borders
not lining up. :-D
Once you get the hang of css you'll wish you had started earlier. The cross browser issues are the toughest thing to get a grasp of. I would suggest you start a (snippets) folder with notes and code that you can refer to as needed.