PDA

View Full Version : School website project\parttime

africano
01-11-2009, 10:20 AM
Hi, as some of you know Ive moved city and Im still settleing down. Ive got many projects Im working on, although most of them except one(my pano website) are all being done for free. Ive taken on these projects as hobby and because I think its going to help me practice.

My sister works in a english primary school in madrid. Their website is not very good and she has asked me if I can make a simple one but better thatn the one they have.

Im thinking how I should make it.....whether to use html and css, a template or maybe Wordpress. Id like to hear some opinions, I know for example that Rob_Che has experience in wordpress and maybe he can offer an opinion on if wordpress might be a good solution as it will allow the school to update info.

Im looking for templates as I dont want to dedicate to much time to the site(if I do it it will be for free). Or maybe the best solution will be to start from scratch...?
What do you guys think?

I know Ive got many projects on the go....Im doing all these in my spare time as Iam now working in an office for two months....cheers guys!

Corrosive
01-11-2009, 04:48 PM
Hi, as some of you know Ive moved city and Im still settleing down. Ive got many projects Im working on, although most of them except one(my pano website) are all being done for free. Ive taken on these projects as hobby and because I think its going to help me practice.

My sister works in a english primary school in madrid. Their website is not very good and she has asked me if I can make a simple one but better thatn the one they have.

Im thinking how I should make it.....whether to use html and css, a template or maybe Wordpress. Id like to hear some opinions, I know for example that Rob_Che has experience in wordpress and maybe he can offer an opinion on if wordpress might be a good solution as it will allow the school to update info.

Im looking for templates as I dont want to dedicate to much time to the site(if I do it it will be for free). Or maybe the best solution will be to start from scratch...?
What do you guys think?

I know Ive got many projects on the go....Im doing all these in my spare time as Iam now working in an office for two months....cheers guys!

If you are doing this for practice and experience of building sites then build it from scratch. Otherwise you are just hacking about someone else's work.

cocoonfx
01-11-2009, 06:19 PM
I would build it from scratch using HTML and CSS. As long as you know how to build sites it should take too long to build. If your stuck or don't have time to do it then you should sub it out or turn down the work.

domedia
01-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Always make sure you do your research first. Find out what the client needs for their website, what they need it to do, why they need a website in the first place. Find some key features and functions and decide solution based on this.

Also think about what free services say about the quality of your work. Even a cheap price wills sometimes be associated with cheap quality.