PDA

View Full Version : different browsers

nias6969
01-08-2009, 01:18 AM
I need to start learning how to test sites in other browsers ( I am using IE 7.0). I have a very, very slow internet connection speed and would like some advice on two matters.
1- the best browsers to download for testing ?. ( from reading up on the subject I believe these 4 are important- Opera, Konqueror,safari and Firefox.
2- the size of these downloads ?. (which is why I mentioned my IC speed, as they will all no matter what size, take me a long time to download. At least with the knowledge of the sizes I can decide which ones to try).

As usual thanks for all your help its invaluable.
Peter

edbr
01-08-2009, 01:28 AM
they are all pretty big. i sometimes use Sleipnir, with a gecko plug in so you can switch from ie mode to firefox in the same browser. It is a small download compared to the real things.
i would not say its a complete alternate but not bad for prelininary testing
and of course there is browsershots.org to test many browsers online. you can start it then return for your results later

Sandonthefloor
01-08-2009, 01:59 AM
Never Ever use Internet Explorer.. it is worst broswer and unsafest

Donwload firefox and then download other browsers

edbr
01-08-2009, 05:26 AM
you must test in IE it is still the most used browser.

Corrosive
01-08-2009, 06:13 AM
you must test in IE it is still the most used browser.

Yes, still up in the high 80%s of visitors to our sites. Use http://www.browsershots.org for a view of how your site will render.

domedia
01-08-2009, 08:09 PM
1- the best browsers to download for testing ?. ( from reading up on the subject I believe these 4 are important- Opera, Konqueror,safari and Firefox.
Make the website geared towards your visitors.
Find out what they use by looking at your server stats and include those browsers when you do your browser testing.

Sandonthefloor
01-09-2009, 01:59 AM
Well i was saying for him to know use IE.. cause it epic fails..

but u test in it of course!

nias6969
01-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Thanks again for your ideas, will visit www.browsershots.org (http://www.browsershots.org) and should anyone know the file sizes for any of the browsers worth thinking of in your design process, let me know if its not too much of a problem. Also why the downer on IE (or anything else Microsoft). Nothing is perfect but not sure where any pro/amateur computer user would be without their input this last few decades. Surely when something is improved upon by other companies it does not follow that the original was rubbish.
Thanks again for your help
Peter

coloeagle
01-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Hello Peter,

Here are the browsers I have installed and check my work in. I still use browsershots.org once I have checked in each of these.

IE6 ------- 40mb
IE7 ------- 15mb
FF2 ------- 20mb
FF3 ------- 25mb
Opera8 ---- 6mb
Opera9 ---- 9mb
Opera 10 (Alpha) --- 7mb
Google Chrome ----- 53mb
Safari 3.2 for windows --- 10mb

nias6969
01-09-2009, 05:14 PM
To coloeagle:
That info is perfect (now I know which ones to download overnight 40mb about 5 hours for me:( )
Many thanks again
Peter

Ricky55
01-09-2009, 11:33 PM
Get your self a proper computer, a Mac, its still the best platform for testing.

I have my default browsers of Safari and Firefox but then via Parallels I have windows XP and Windows Vista installed this allows me to test natively in IE 6 and IE 7 and Firefox and Google Chrome, can't beat it. When I working I preview in Safari but have IE 6 open in the background so I can keep checking to make sure the page looks OK. I'd find it very slow to have to rely on something like browser shots.

So much easier and more flexible than Browser shots.

edbr
01-10-2009, 12:47 AM
Ricky please dont start this pointless debate again. the poster has a problem with download speeds not his operating system

nias6969
01-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Ricky:
Will check your idea out after I have have downloaded the browsers (will be end of next week :) ), seems a good way to me. Would be nice to try a Mac in the future- but for now I know my way around my system and I am very much a novice to dreamweaver and webdesign in general, so will try to keep it focused on what I am at ease with.
Thanks again for the help.
Peter

d a v e
01-10-2009, 03:05 PM
this is good for ie versions
http://www.my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage

Ricky55
01-10-2009, 07:30 PM
I wasn't starting that pointless debate edbr, I was even talking about the OS, I was just simply pointing out that the Mac offers the best options for web design testing, fact!

Ricky55
01-10-2009, 07:33 PM
btw Edbr the poster was enquiring about testing in other browsers and my post simply pointed out how easy this is to do on the Mac platform.

It was that idiot neonFluxx that banged on about the mac making out he had a nasa super computer in his bed room.

domedia
01-10-2009, 10:36 PM
, I was just simply pointing out that the Mac offers the best options for web design testing, fact!
No, it's your opinion. We all have one which is fine. What Ed is trying to prevent is another MAC/PC debate, because they go nowhere. :| Presenting your view as the truth, or 'fact', will only ignite such a debate.
Either way, it's kinda off topic, let's get back on topic of this thread. :)

Ricky55
01-12-2009, 12:19 AM
Its still a fact. On what other platform can you test in that manner?

No more post on Mac / PC I promise.

nias6969
01-12-2009, 10:41 PM
Thanks to all:
Tried the browsershot.org and its perfect for my needs at present. However tried my-debugar.com and the download size is 24mb, is there anything similar to browsershot geared up for IE. Remember my original question was how to avoid anything with large (time consuming for me) downloads.
Anyway- again "thanks to all" :-D
Peter

edbr
01-12-2009, 11:20 PM
have a look at slepnir

d a v e
01-13-2009, 01:05 PM
IE tester 24 mb http://www.my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage
can you not ask a friend to download it for you??
how come you have such a slow connection?? :)

nias6969
01-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Dave;
Will try and find someone and try and download to my laptop, as to my slow connection speed: I live in the middle of the campo here in Spain with no chance of a landline in the near future. Also unreliable mobile phone signal in this area so we have to use a digital phone system (relay to relay) 33.6Kpbs at present. Sometimes a 10th of this for downloads.
Price you pay for living in such a nice place I guess.
All the best
Peter