PDA

View Full Version : Background images in table cells

Waterways
01-04-2009, 03:07 PM
I'm pretty new to Dreamweaver although have just completed a short intro course. One of the things we did in the course was to use an image as background in a table cell. I just want to use a background image in a cell of a table- not the whole page or the whole table. Hiowever, using Dreamweaver CS4 at home, in the properties bar below the design view there is an option to change the colour of the background to the cell but not to use an image. I've tried highlighting the cell using tag selector but can't find the option- I think it should be labelled BG but for some reason I don't have it- is this still an option in CS4? Alternatively I could edit the html code directly I guess but have no experience of this- any ideas?

Thanks very much

domedia
01-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Hi there waterways.
Did this course really teach you to use tables for page design?
I hope this was not a course you paid anything for.

Here's what you do:
Apply a CSS class to the table cell and set the background image in your CSS.

Later you should look into regular standard web design methods. Any modern web design book or website will be able to help you learn this.

Waterways
01-06-2009, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the advice- that worked OK but I am learning that tables are not the best way to go for web design! I did pay for the course but luckily not very much. Any recommendations for good resources- books or online training?

Thanks again for your help

Corrosive
01-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the advice- that worked OK but I am learning that tables are not the best way to go for web design! I did pay for the course but luckily not very much. Any recommendations for good resources- books or online training?

Thanks again for your help

Check the tutorials here and also lynda.com seems to be popular amongst the new starters. Just Google CSS and you'll get loads.