PDA

View Full Version : Interactive googlemaps

bee80
01-02-2009, 10:21 AM
hi there, my first ever post :) let me know if it is in the wrong thread!!
Im wondering if it is possible to have a google map of a country say UK that my site users will be able to zoom in , place a marker and upload their photo's of the destination? Thus allowing all visitors to view that locations photo's? Sorry if this is seems a stupid question but im very new to this , be kind plz :)

Corrosive
01-02-2009, 10:28 AM
hi there, my first ever post :) let me know if it is in the wrong thread!!
Im wondering if it is possible to have a google map of a country say UK that my site users will be able to zoom in , place a marker and upload their photo's of the destination? Thus allowing all visitors to view that locations photo's? Sorry if this is seems a stupid question but im very new to this , be kind plz :)

I know that igoogle will let you paste a Google map into your website (iframes I think) I don't know if you still get all the functionality you are after. Maybe if you give us an idea of your concept then we can give some further ideas.

bee80
01-02-2009, 10:38 AM
it is possible just take a look at flikr maps : http://www.flickr.com/map/
basically like this but on a much smaller scale of 1 country , the site will have a forum, a chat service and hopefully the photo map :) It will be used free by backpackers/travellers of the country to build a useful database of sights, accomodation, eateries etc

Corrosive
01-02-2009, 10:44 AM
it is possible just take a look at flikr maps : http://www.flickr.com/map/
basically like this but on a much smaller scale of 1 country , the site will have a forum, a chat service and hopefully the photo map :) It will be used free by backpackers/travellers of the country to build a useful database of sights, accomodation, eateries etc

Sounds like a worthwhile project. Setting a map up with some photos wouldn't be too hard but the user interaction you want is a lot more complicated and won't be achieved with Dreamweaver alone. You know any server side scripting languages like php?

bee80
01-02-2009, 10:59 AM
im currently slowly trying to get to grips with ASP, i feel im at the beginning of a long and winding road :) OK what about using photoshop to cut the country map from a world map, adding all the major travel destination markers, with clickable links, from this link users will be able to view/add photos, read/submit comments on certain topics i.e accom/nightlife/sights ?? Would this process be easier?

Corrosive
01-02-2009, 11:11 AM
im currently slowly trying to get to grips with ASP, i feel im at the beginning of a long and winding road :) OK what about using photoshop to cut the country map from a world map, adding all the major travel destination markers, with clickable links, from this link users will be able to view/add photos, read/submit comments on certain topics i.e accom/nightlife/sights ?? Would this process be easier?

How about a map with hotspots on the areas? Each area link then goes to a page where users can upload pics and comments about the area using some javascript? It'd be basic but a good starting point for you to develop from.

bee80
01-02-2009, 11:40 AM
ok ill give this a go :) thanks , no doubt ill be back

Corrosive
01-02-2009, 11:52 AM
ok ill give this a go :) thanks , no doubt ill be back

Maybe do the map section in flash. That would be pretty cool.

bee80
01-02-2009, 02:20 PM
i have found a downloadable flash map of thailand :) not sure to go with it though as its not detailed enough :(