PDA

View Full Version : Using dreamreamer liveview to idtenfiy code in Forum site

wmlweb
01-01-2009, 05:20 PM
I have a vbulletin forum that does have a admin control panel, but It is almost impossible to know where to find different areas of my site to edit in the million of templates.

I was wondering if I copy my forum root folder and all of its content to desk top, would I be able then be able to put all the folders into dreamweaver assets so I can use dreamweaver live view to figure out where code is I need to edit? Thanks for the help!

domedia
01-01-2009, 08:35 PM
No, you would need your database and PHP/MySQL running as well on your local machine.

I understand what you mean though. What often helps is using Google to find other people talking about the same areas in the template and the vBulletin forums.

wmlweb
01-01-2009, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the reply,

I am planning on setting up a test forum on my server that will be a exact copy of my forum so I can test mods and edit templats without blowing up my site!

After I set up this test forum, Can I point dreamweaver assets folders to the test forum folders on my host server through ftp?

Here is link on how to do this if you want to do this for your forum

Step by Step: Create a test forum based on a 'snapshot' of your live one (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252648)

Thanks for the help. I hope I can do this through dreamweaver as it will save me tons of time! My whole site is vb admin dependent

domedia
01-01-2009, 09:01 PM
Can I point dreamweaver assets folders to the test forum folders on my host server through ftp? No. But why would you now use the assets directory in your development files on your harddrive?

Here is link on how to do this if you want to do this for your forum

Step by Step: Create a test forum based on a 'snapshot' of your live one (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252648)
Nice one, thanks :)

wmlweb
01-01-2009, 09:16 PM
I guess I mean to just be able to use live view! I guess I mean pull the files from my ftp to assets so I can use my server for live view

I am sure I am not using right terms. I just want a way to use live view and live code and code navigator for editing so I don't have to spend days trying to figure out where to find simple edits that need to be made on a regular basis as I make changes

Also,

I think I am set up on my computer to act as a local host server. I downloaded mysql and I know that the new Mac comes if the others stuff need. Is that a possiblility?