PDA

View Full Version : Mind The Gap!!!

blackatan
12-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Hey All,

My lovely wife has bought me dreamweaver for my christmas to go with my photoshop that 'I love more than her' (poor woman). Anyway, I have designed my webpage in photoshop and extremely pleased with it... I then went about slicing it up and optimising it etc., saved it as a html with imageges, default settings and all slices. Heres my problem... when I open it up in Dreamweaver all is well until I try to set up the hyperlinks. Whenever I click on one of the slices, and add a link to it crack or gaps start to appear in the page around the slice. Am I doing something wrong? Obviously I am but what? help me please my wife starting to give me lusty looks and that is frightening!;-)

Ricky55
12-29-2008, 04:40 PM
Well this isn't the way to design pages, use CSS but I think your problem is due to the border that appears when you make a link. When you export as HTML from Photoshop or Fireworks it creates tables that are a nightmare to work with for reasons like this.

In the short term though to resolve your problem, just set the border property in the property inspector to 0 on each item.

blackatan
12-29-2008, 05:03 PM
Thanks Ricky55, I finally got that issue solved your a gem... Now onto my next issue, do you know anything about online booking calendars? I am a dj and want to allow visitors to my site capabilities to provisionally book me or just book me. I know there are alot of scripts out there but they come with their ads and often lead visitors to an outside source. Do you know of any such scripts?

Thanks in advance

Tan:lol:

Corrosive
12-29-2008, 05:17 PM
Thanks Ricky55, I finally got that issue solved your a gem... Now onto my next issue, do you know anything about online booking calendars? I am a dj and want to allow visitors to my site capabilities to provisionally book me or just book me. I know there are alot of scripts out there but they come with their ads and often lead visitors to an outside source. Do you know of any such scripts?

Thanks in advance

Tan:lol:

Hello & Welcome to DW and the forum

I think you are jumping the gun a bit here. If you read the rest of Ricky's post he gave you a temp fix. You've got a long way to go before you're ready to build your business site and start using scripts. You need to learn the CSS way of creating web layouts. Get a good CSS book and find some tutorials to read.

By the way, you may want to let the wife know you won't be seeing her for a few weeks :wink:

blackatan
12-29-2008, 05:24 PM
Thanks guys... any good video tuts around ... unfortunately it seems like the only way I can take this suff in.... If you guys want to look at what I've done then go to www.angeliqueentertainments.co.uk (http://www.angeliqueentertainments.co.uk)

Tan

Corrosive
12-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Thanks guys... any good video tuts around ... unfortunately it seems like the only way I can take this suff in.... If you guys want to look at what I've done then go to www.angeliqueentertainments.co.uk (http://www.angeliqueentertainments.co.uk)

Tan

Sorry, I tend to read stuff more than use vid tuts but I'm sure some of the others will give you some links.

The way you have done your site is fine for testing to see how it looks but you now need to rebuild it as a web page. I.e. replace the images of text with actual html text for search engines to read.

Think the site looks really good though but you might need to make some compromises when you make it into a website.

Ricky55
12-29-2008, 06:02 PM
Yeah Corrosive is right.

Many people build websites like you have, but as Corrosive has said this isn't a webpage its just an image in a table cell with some buttons.

There are many reasons to turn it into a proper webpage the first probably being that you won't get any visitors as the search engines will never rank the site as behind the scenes there's nothing there, no actual text for them to index.

Lynda.com is really the one place in my opinion for really good video tuts. Its not free but you get what you pay for, its only 12 per month with no subs.

I do like your design though it looks good. At least you've got the design aspect nailed some people don't have the design or build skills.

Ricky55
12-29-2008, 06:04 PM
BTW, yes I do have some scripts just email me if you want one sending.

Go to my website and email through that.

blackatan
12-29-2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks again Ricky, I have seen you sight and love it. I believe that was done with flash? OK then perhaps not, was trying to be a techie when I'm only a baby. Will email you though as I will need a mentor to guide me through this quickly... The wife wont wait forever!

Ricky55
12-29-2008, 09:03 PM
No you're correct my site was indeed built in Flash. I go banging on about CSS and HTML and then build my own site in Flash...

Email me by all means mate.

Corrosive
12-30-2008, 07:26 AM
No you're correct my site was indeed built in Flash. I go banging on about CSS and HTML and then build my own site in Flash...

Email me by all means mate.

Hey Rich. I haven't been to your site since you had the holding page up. It looks fantastic mate. Love the navigation :)

Ricky55
12-30-2008, 11:34 AM
Thanks Corrosive, that means a lot from an experienced hand such as yourself.

Its only supposed to be a temp site really while I get a round to doing a full CSS based one. So it will probably be up for years....