PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Setting Remote Server At Start of Site Creation


JMD
12-28-2008, 04:16 PM
Hi,

I am learning Dreamweaver for the first time by doing a an e-course and dreamweaver is having issues finding my 'remote site'.

I suspect that I have not properly set up the location of my remote site when I first created the site in the 'Manage Site' section.

I am using a MacBook and DreamweaverMX2004.

I've noticed that on certain parts of the dialog boxes that you can choose the folder icon and tell dreamweaver where the file is located.

Where I'm getting problems is when I save an HTML document and then use the preview in browser option. I am always getting some message indicating
that the server cannot be found and it will have MacintoshHD showing as where it tried to find the site.

In general I figure the problem is in where I have my URL prefix pointed in the testing server field. I have no idea what supposed to go in this field or how to direct the computer to where it needs to go.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am under an incredible time crunch to learn this stuff.

Thanks

JMD

Ricky55
12-28-2008, 04:35 PM
That shouldn't effect preview in browser, you don't need to setup a remote server to preview in browser. Problems with preview in browser are usually associated with dreamweaver not being able to find your default web browser. You can tell Dreamweaver where your browser is in the preferences, you usually set a primary on the Mac this will probably be Safari and a secondary usually Firefox.

Just one thing to note, in Dreamweaver 8, CS3 and 4 not sure about MX but on Macs you need to use the IP address of the server and not just the FTP address.

There a few ways to find the IP address of the server, one is to use the network utility that comes with the mac the other is to use this website, just enter your ftp address

http://www.hcidata.info/host2ip.cgi

ftp.yourdomain.com
and it will give you the ip address which is a numerical value.

JMD
12-28-2008, 05:06 PM
Thanks,

I checked the Network utility and found an IP which I typed into the 'URL prefix' field in the testing server dialog box.

So now the field looks like http://Macintosh HD/144.3.8.0/ and I get the same issue when I try the preview in browser option. I have all the primary and secondary browser stuff set fine.

Thanks for your help.

JMD