PDA

View Full Version : Text going over right margin on whole body

jrlagoni
12-16-2008, 06:51 PM
Greetings-

Okay, I admit it. I am a newbie when it comes to coding, and now that FP is basically a dinosaur I am switching to Dreamweaver. I know I am from "the other side" as FP has the crappiest code. However, I am mostly a SEM guy (mostly travel sales) that is liking code more and more as I've studied it. My main site is jrlagoni.com (http://www.jrlagoni.com).

So, Hi everyone and thank you for this forum.

Well, I have an acct that is very important to me, and their website is fun but has SSI and CSS and I think was built in 1999.

On one of the main nav pages (www.thepaleodiet.com/published_research (http://www.thepaleodiet.com/published_research/)) the margins have gone way out to the right. The previous webmaster won't tell me why, but I know it has happened before multiple times. I believe they once said it was the "CSS got knocked out". (It happened when I was inserting a text line with link at the bottom of the body.)

I have studied the code intently but just can't see the diff between this page and other main nav pages. I need to fix this in the next 24 hours to show them I can handle this site. Any help is appreciated.

Sincerely, and good luck to all,
J.R. Lagoni

P.S. Anyone that is interested in health from diet ought to look at this website. I need neither a doctor nor a dentist since being on this diet, and I am 55 years young! It is amazing and backed by solid science, not fad. See the success stories page.

jrlagoni
12-16-2008, 07:08 PM
I should have mentioned that it is most obvious in Firefox. In IE it is just abutting the right border of the table, but in FF, it is way out there. Thanks, J.R.

edbr
12-17-2008, 01:07 AM
looks like you have deleted some tags your text does not appear to be in your table.

edbr
12-17-2008, 01:13 AM
if you make a blank template from a page that works and paste the text from your index page it will be correctly displayed, start from there

jrlagoni
12-17-2008, 02:07 PM
Hey folks-

Page is fixed thanks to you: http://www.thepaleodiet.com/published_research/

As I said, this acct is very important to me so I am very grateful. As you indicated I had cut off some code at the bottom of the page and I was looking at the top! So once looking at the bottom I could see that i had cut out the SSI footer (duh! I should have seen this at least) and code in the body file too. I couldn't seem to fix it, so I just copy and pasted text portion onto a good template as suggested and voila.

Thank you again Edbr, let me know if you ever want my advice on SEM of a particular site,
J.R.

domedia
12-17-2008, 02:20 PM
I think we all could need some help on our SEM :) Have you been doing it for long?

jrlagoni
12-17-2008, 05:34 PM
About 9 years. I have had some success in PPC and SEO, but don't claim to be the best in either. I had one PPC project that sold over $200,000 in 2 years, and one SEO increased sales over 50% in 4 months, but these are not averages and there might be people on here that know more than me.

I do have alot of experience in small business marketing, especially with entrepreneuring over the years and now decades! I have had my failures as well.

The potential on the web is incredible & exciting even at this more mature time of its existence.

edbr
12-18-2008, 12:14 AM
your welcome and thanks for the offer, as Dom says we all could do better at it

domedia
12-18-2008, 02:21 AM
I had one PPC project that sold over $200,000 in 2 years, and one SEO increased sales over 50% in 4 months, but these are not averages and there might be people on here that know more than me. Got my feet wet doing PPC a couple of years ago, but ended up being too busy to do the needed keyword research. I did make money on my first 'trial' campaign for a dating site, which was interesting.

Corrosive
12-18-2008, 08:38 PM
your welcome and thanks for the offer, as Dom says we all could do better at it

Absolutely. As far as I can see it is truly a black art. Maybe write some hints and tips in a tutorial on this site. We'd all use it if you have the time.

Have a chat with the boss (Domedia.)

Rob_Che
12-19-2008, 09:58 AM
Absolutely... share your knowledge ! I'm sure everyone here will be grateful and willing to help you with anything you may need ;)

Cheers (and welcome)

jrlagoni
12-19-2008, 01:02 PM
Okay, I will setup a chat ID in Yahoo, and put it on my profile. I don't currently use chat, but I need one anyway. Maybe just start a thread area that is for Online Marketing issues and I will look at it quite often as I am sure you folks are the right ones to get me up to speed on Dreamweaver and code.

jrlagoni
12-19-2008, 05:56 PM
Hi all-

I posted a response early this a.m., but I guess it didn't take. I certainly want to contribute and won't be much help on Dreamweaver. I feel comfortable with:

marketing questions and SEM (like look at a page and comment).
marketing ideas
specifics on SEO and PPC (although I think it might be best to send ppl to sites that I think are particularly good).As far as a tutorial, I don't know. Maybe as I get my feet wet in here. What about an area of the forum for online marketing and sales?

Best, J.R.

domedia
12-23-2008, 11:34 AM
We've previously made forums when we thought we had some good ideas on topics. What happened was that many of them became desolate because we made them out of interest and not out of activity. So what we do now is create subforums when the activity in that topic warrants it.

For tutorials I know it has to be specific, so how about something like 'how to use adwords', how to build landing pages' , 'SEO 101' etc :)

jrlagoni
12-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Okay Domed, you choose, and I will write a tutorial:
1) SEO 101: 2009
2) Marketing Theory: Implications on Website Sales

Or Domed, if you think it is better, I am up for a subforum thread, as it seems there is alot of interest. Please, just one of these to start, though, as I don't won't to commit and then be on overload.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all, J.R.

jrlagoni
12-25-2008, 11:57 AM
Oh, I forgot. I also would be willing to do:
3) Keyword Research 401: 2009

domedia
12-25-2008, 12:48 PM
Hey JR, we can publish them at your convenience. Articles have previously seemed to give good PR juice, and we try to get the good ones spread through social media.
I think the basic SEO one would be a good start, that way your articles/tutorials can be more advanced down the road once members and visitors had the chance to get the basics down.
I'll PM you my email address for further communication.