View Full Version : "highlight" - What CSS Property

12-16-2008, 01:53 PM
Hey guys,

I'm editing my style sheet for CSS, and I can't find the property that deals with highlighting. Any ideas where it is? I know this is more of a CSS question, but I am using DW.

As you can see the highlighting my site is currently using is...yuck:

12-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Think what you are looking for is background-color:#??????;

12-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Hi Dan,
Can you explain what you mean by highlighting and what you want highlighted. Do you mean a mouseover effect?

12-16-2008, 03:08 PM
Yes, a mouse over effect. I guess it isn't referred to the same way as MS Word does. Hit Ctrl + A and you'll highlight the entire page. The text is highlighted as a light blue. I'd like something more like that this site has.

The css property is for wordpress of course (just so you don't confuse the link I gave above with the link in my signature).

12-16-2008, 04:01 PM
Selecting an area (CTR+A for everything or just selecting it with your) is not the same as mouseover... If you're looking for the mouseover effect look at the new tutorial no our homepage. It deals exactly with custom link styles.

12-16-2008, 05:07 PM
I'll be sure to check out that tutorial.

But that's not what I mean. Just so there is no more confusion, I want to do this:

What is this referred to as in CSS properties?

12-16-2008, 06:31 PM
It has nothing to do with CSS or the web.
Highlighting text is a product of your OS.

d a v e
12-16-2008, 06:53 PM
you could use something like this though

.highlight {background:blue; color:white;}
and then apply it to selected text within a paragraph like so:

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy <span class="highlight>"text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type </span> and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.