PDA

View Full Version : Design questions

africano
12-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Hi, Im going to be doing some work for an NGO, help them out really in making some leaflets and newsletters.

Ide just like to ask some general questions to find out how you guys go about your work.

When asked to design or put together a leaflet, which programs do you use?
Photoshop/InDesign...etc.

Once youve got the leaflet together do you print a copy to see how it looks? Would you thern send the file to a company which prints leaflets?
Would you ask them to print one to see how it looks before printing the rest?
What is the most common file format that these companies requier?

Last of all when you make a newsletter/email or whatever...that you want to send to for example all the donators/subscribers to the NGO how do you go about doing that?(mass email) Is there a program...or what?

Sorry if its a lot and not very clear, but Ide like to help these guys out and would like to inform myself before starting!
Cheers!

Rob_Che
12-14-2008, 09:15 PM
When asked to design or put together a leaflet, which programs do you use?
Photoshop for the graphics and a vector/layout program for the text (InDesign, Ilustrator, Corel)

Once youve got the leaflet together do you print a copy to see how it looks?
Yeah, why not. It helps to see how big the text you've chosen prints etc. Cut it out, hold it in your hand... glance at it, would you pick it up ?

Would you thern send the file to a company which prints leaflets?
Either that or describe it over the phone.

Would you ask them to print one to see how it looks before printing the rest?
Some companies will print you a proof off but most will email you flattened jpeg to show you what they're seeing - this makes sure that the file you've sent hasn't currupted.

What is the most common file format that these companies requier?
These days most ask for .PDF - they're nice and small for emailing. In the old days it was .eps but if it's just a flyer you can get enough clarity with a jpeg (ducks for cover) - I've done it loads of times... It's a flyer, not an art print.

Last of all when you make a newsletter/email or whatever...
You can create a web page and attach the HTML as stationery in outlook etc.

Rob

domedia
12-14-2008, 10:04 PM
Either that or describe it over the phone. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

africano
12-15-2008, 05:09 PM
Cheers Rob_Che for the advice and for you time!
Another thing To send mass emails/Newsletters do you use a specific program?(Ive seen some around on the net).
If not, how do you send say 300 emails/newsletters?

Heres another question: :)

Im thinking of designing their site for them, something simple, but of course they are going to need to be able to update the info on it, news, images....

So Im thinking of making them a wordpress/website style Blog....Would this be a good idea?
Im thinking of using a template and modifying it to suite their needs. Would the wordpress blog work as a website for them?

domedia
12-15-2008, 05:18 PM
Another thing To send mass emails/Newsletters do you use a specific program?(Ive seen some around on the net). I'd look into the regular services like Constant Contact, Vertical Response etc.
So Im thinking of making them a wordpress/website style Blog....Would this be a good idea?
Im thinking of using a template and modifying it to suite their needs. Would the wordpress blog work as a website for them? That completely depends on their *specific* needs (Wanting a website does not qualify ;) ) , If your development process includes any kind of discovery/research phase, you would get the answer there. I've seen some kids make pretty successful websites using a blog, but it doesn't mean it suites everyone.

africano
12-15-2008, 05:20 PM
my worry is giving them a way of updating the site. I have no experience here and thought that with wordpress I could teach them to use the inteface...I will look into it, cheers!

domedia
12-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Best way is to get a blog yourself. Then you'll already know how to do this before you offer it to clients ;)

edbr
12-16-2008, 12:15 AM
I use a program called pommo, it has template making,html and text. subscribe and unsubscribe features and more importantly a throttle setting which adjusts the sending rate and a nice but that detects letters sent to a server ie yahoo and it wil stop if over the limit for that server in 1 session to avoid being identified as spam.
Oh yes and its free

africano
12-16-2008, 03:30 PM
cheers, Ive done some research and Ive come down to two options:

Dadda mail and Pommo.......anyone know anything about these two?

Im going to install Pommo on my server and test it out, cheers for the recommendation Edbr!

Kelon
12-22-2008, 09:54 PM
Erm, hi... perhaps you've decided and if so, that's cool, just adding another viewpoint.

I'm about to undertake a similar project and I want the owner of the website to 'own' as much of it as they can. I need work that pays well... if you follow, they can't and an ongoing commitment is not something I can promise. So... I've played with blogging a bit myself and thought about installing something like Moveable type. All resulting in the following conclusion: Blogger pros -
Free - free webspace, free domain (albeit with .blotspot.com on), free code already robust and web-phobe proof.
Very highly customizable template to a pleasantly surprising degree (even to the point of it being 'ok' to ditch the blogger bar).
Great online community of 'others' the owner can talk to instead of bugging (in a nice way) me - great, I can be in peace on the beach.
Minimal technical set-up (template customisation) and absolutely no technical back-up or on-going commitment required of me at all ultimately though of course I'll expect to help the owner get comfy.
Can point a url at it and even set it up to ftp the content to a clients server
You couldn't, IMHO, get anything easier for my client to use home alone.Cons... er,
Blog might get closed down if they swear or show rudies or are nasty to people..
Must use categories to ensure navigation is sensible
Customisation could... could... be a nightmare.Basically the client can be entirely independant and the whole thing can be migrated into a 'proper' set-up in future so.... I'm going to go with it. Happy and interested if more views are expressed.

Apologies if I've muddied the water Africano