PDA

View Full Version : Typical Monitor screen resolution question-Help..I need somebody..Help!

africano
12-12-2008, 01:07 PM
I know this has been asked but Im looking for a specific answer!

Basically Im working on a pano project website. Ive been designing for a width of 1024 (cant recall the height) and on my monitor all is well....But Im afraid this aint going to be the case for those people with smaller monitors!

I need to know what Width and Height I need so that It will look good on all monitors or what other options do I have so maybe it can detect if its a small monitor and load a small version, etc.

Client has said they dont want any scroll bars at all...so Im thinking when someone loads this on a small monitor its going to be awfull as currently its width is 1024!!
:-D

domedia
12-12-2008, 02:02 PM
Your client and you have to agree which screen resolutions to make this for.

africano
12-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Yeah I know, but my client doesnt know, all they say is that they dont want scroll bars.... The Panorama is the main part as all interactive elements are within.
The panorama isnt a problem as it adjusts itself automatically to the browser or the div its contained in.

My only issue is with the header and footer(and the main div where the pano is held - the skeleton of the site-)
I need this to fit on every screen size.
So I gues my question is:

What screen size(Width and length) do I give my site so It can be viewed on all(or at least the most relevant ones)screen sizes?

Is there a method so the site can detect the screen size?

What do you guys do too make sure your sites are correct and people dont have to scroll horizontally on smaller monitors?

Ricky55
12-12-2008, 04:20 PM
This is always a compromise Africano, the only way you won't get horizontal scroll bars is if you design the site to fit inside the screen res of 800 x 600 any one with a screen res lower that doesn't deserve to view the site conveniently in my opinion.

If you do this though you will have white space on larger monitors, you'll never get perfection on everyones screens thats just the nature of the web and you must explain this to your client.

I design sites to fit inside 1024 x 768 and this is becoming increasingly common, I typically make my designs 984px wide and whatever length they need to be.

Just be aware though that this viewed on anything less than 1024 x 768 will result in horizontal scroll bars.

africano
12-12-2008, 04:28 PM
Thanks for your reply, Ill have a talk to the client and explain this to them and see what they want/decide.

You say you design for 1024x768......and you make your design 984px wide....why not 1024?

I just ask because Im curious...is there a reason for 984 instead of 1024?

Anyways Ricky55 cheers for your input! Im still programming elements inside the pano, Im actually quite happy with the site and hows its going...Ill be glad to show you all once its finished!!
I think its a type of site that you dont really see around! although the clients dont have the best ideas in my opinion but hey theyr the boss!
Cheers!

domedia
12-12-2008, 05:44 PM
The only way to measure the success of this task is your client's happiness.

Asking for no scrollbars without any conditions is impossible. You understand that, so now you have to make your client understand it :)

Explain to the client about different screen resolutions.
When he understands the basics of the medium, advice him on a screen resolution to be the minimum supported. For example 800*600 or 1024 wide.

Now when he enters the website with his 320px screen wide gadget, he will understand that this is expected behavior, and not tell you that you didn't do your job and kas to have it fixed for free.

Screen resolution and Viewport of the browser are two different things. You have to take into consideration the chrome of the browser, along with the area a possible scrollbar will take out. That's why Ricky tells you to go for 984 px for a 1024 maximized browser.

domedia
12-12-2008, 05:46 PM
What do you guys do too make sure your sites are correct and people dont have to scroll horizontally on smaller monitors?
A quick note on this. This should be an appendix to your contract. List the browsers and screen resolutions you design for.