PDA

View Full Version : Validation and viewing in browser issues

peacetree-productions
12-09-2008, 03:50 PM
Hi,
I am new to web design. I recently recorded an album, and so I started a website to get the album on it. I got it up, and from reading other posts I know that there are many issues that I will have to fix with my site, but I have semester final tests right now, so I do not have much time to learn a new subject--web design.
At this time I just want to get the website so it will appear as it should in all web browsers. It does in opera and safari, but in Firefox the text is out of alignment. I created each page from a template I made.
I ran a validation, and it said the things I highlighted in red below, do not have attributes.

<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
<!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="doctitle" -->
<title>PeaceTree Productions</title>
<!-- TemplateEndEditable -->
<style type="text/css">
<!--
body {
background-color: #00012A;
background-repeat: no-repeat;
}
.style1 {
font-family: "Lucida Calligraphy";
font-size: 24px;
color: #929493;
}
.style2 {
font-family: "Lucida Calligraphy";
color: #7f0706;
text-decoration: none;
}
-->
</style>
<!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="head" --><!-- TemplateEndEditable -->
</head>

<body>
<blockquote>&nbsp;</blockquote>
<table width="1023" height="680" border="0" align="center" cellpadding="0" background="../images/homepage*.jpg">
<tr>
<th scope="col"><table width="100%" height="668" border="0" cellpadding="2" background="../images/spacer.gif">
<tr>
<td width="27%" height="30">&nbsp;</td>
<td width="65%" height="30"><div align="center"><span class="style1">PeaceTree Productions</span></div></td>
<td width="8%" height="30">&nbsp;</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td height="22">&nbsp;</td>
<td><table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="2">
<tr>
<td width="24%" class="style2"><div align="center"><a href="../index.html">Home</a></div></td>
<td width="24%" class="style2"><div align="center"><a href="../audio.html">Audio</a></div></td>
<td width="25%" class="style2"><div align="center"><a href="../visual.html">Visual</a></div></td>
<td width="27%" class="style2"><div align="center"><a href="../contact.html">Contact</a></div></td>
</tr>
</table>
<span class="style2"></span></td>
<td>&nbsp;</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td height="10">&nbsp;</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td height="301"><!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="EditRegion4" --><!-- TemplateEndEditable --></td>
<td><!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="EditRegion3" -->
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<!-- TemplateEndEditable --></td>
<td>&nbsp;</td>
</tr>
</table></th>
</tr>
</table>
</body>
</html>

Also, the links at the top are screwed up. Some work on some pages, but the Contact one never even appears. When I went to create the links, I did them in the template by highlighting the area and then dragging the arrow to the page I wanted to link it to. I thought this was the correct way to do it, and it worked with some links, but not with others.
The site is www.peacetree-productions.com
I would appreciate any help you have to offer, and if you want to give advice on other aspects that are wrong with my page (which is probably everything) that would give me a starting point to know what to read up on, but like I said, I am mainly just wanting people to be able to see it correct right now.
One other thing, How big should a background image be? I know 2m is too big.
thanks

domedia
12-09-2008, 03:55 PM
If your background image is 2 mb, it's a fail.
Realize that people have to download the images to view your page, and optimize accordingly :)

When you say the things you highlighted in red does not have attributes, it makes little sense because they are attributes.

For future learning, I'd stay away from tables to design your site, I'm guessing some of you issues come from this, and use web standards instead.

Corrosive
12-09-2008, 05:09 PM
When you say the things you highlighted in red does not have attributes, it makes little sense because they are attributes.

It's probably asking for 'alt' tags to be added to the images I'd have thought.

Corrosive
12-09-2008, 05:11 PM
It's probably asking for 'alt' tags to be added to the images I'd have thought.

Scratch that...just noticed images are table backgrounds...been so long since I used tables...:(

domedia
12-09-2008, 05:18 PM
..and 'alt' is an attribute, not an HTML tag. 8)

Corrosive
12-09-2008, 05:23 PM
..and 'alt' is an attribute, not an HTML tag. 8)

It's been a long day and I should probably just go and have a nice cup of tea :wink:

peacetree-productions
12-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Well I thought they were attributes, which is why I have no idea how to fix the fact that it says:
Error Macintosh HD:Users:Bina:Documents:Websites:Peacetree-productions:Templates:template.dwt (file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/Bina/Documents/Websites/Peacetree-productions/Macintosh%20HD:Users:Bina:Documents:Websites:Peace tree-productions:Templates:template.dwt) The tag: "table" doesn't have an attribute: "height" in currently active versions. 31 Error Macintosh HD:Users:Bina:Documents:Websites:Peacetree-productions:Templates:template.dwt (file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/Bina/Documents/Websites/Peacetree-productions/Macintosh%20HD:Users:Bina:Documents:Websites:Peace tree-productions:Templates:template.dwt) The tag: "table" doesn't have an attribute: "background" in currently active versions. 31 Error Macintosh HD:Users:Bina:Documents:Websites:Peacetree-productions:Templates:template.dwt (file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/Bina/Documents/Websites/Peacetree-productions/Macintosh%20HD:Users:Bina:Documents:Websites:Peace tree-productions:Templates:template.dwt) The tag: "table" doesn't have an attribute: "height" in currently active versions. 33 Error Macintosh HD:Users:Bina:Documents:Websites:Peacetree-productions:Templates:template.dwt (file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/Bina/Documents/Websites/Peacetree-productions/Macintosh%20HD:Users:Bina:Documents:Websites:Peace tree-productions:Templates:template.dwt) The tag: "table" doesn't have an attribute: "background" in currently active versions. 33I still have no idea what to do to fix this. The height look the exact same as all the other heights in the code.

domedia
12-09-2008, 06:14 PM
There is no attribute height for tables in HTML.
Also, the attribute 'background' is deprecated.
The error is saying that HTML does not have those attributes, it's not talking about your code missing them. Next time just provide the the actual message right away.
It would be much easier to debug if you could provide a link :) Can you put it online?

ps : for this forum. remember to use code tags for code and maybe quote tags for quotes to make stuff readable in here

peacetree-productions
12-09-2008, 07:49 PM
www.peacetree-productions.com

Thanks for the help man.

domedia
12-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Looks ok to me.
When you save your background image, assuming you use Photoshop, use 'save for web' and save as a JPG with around 50% compression and see the size difference.

peacetree-productions
12-09-2008, 09:02 PM
are you looking at it in firefox? The title is supposed to be in the green above the skinny part of grey, where the menu bar goes, and then the big area of grey for the body should be blank.
Ya, I did use photoshop. I will do that.