PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Connect to remote ftp host??

masears88
12-09-2008, 02:29 PM
I keep getting an error message when i am testing the site for remote info saying that it cannot locate host server. What does this mean besides the fact that it cannot find it for some reason. But when i go to the internet and put in the address, it will then ask for my user name and password and i enter it and it brings it right up? Why can't i get DW to connect to it? I am also just trying out DW CS4 so it is the trail version does that mean that i can't connect with the trail version?

Corrosive
12-09-2008, 04:19 PM
I keep getting an error message when i am testing the site for remote info saying that it cannot locate host server. What does this mean besides the fact that it cannot find it for some reason. But when i go to the internet and put in the address, it will then ask for my user name and password and i enter it and it brings it right up? Why can't i get DW to connect to it? I am also just trying out DW CS4 so it is the trail version does that mean that i can't connect with the trail version?

Not sure about trial version. Are you sure your main account log-in password is the same as your FTP password? Mine aren't the same. This could be causing your problem. If not then speak to your hosts.

edbr
12-10-2008, 12:41 AM
you should be able to create your own ftp account for your site and creating your own login details
try using a ftp program and see if you have problems connecting with that.

masears88
12-11-2008, 01:23 PM
what kind of program do you suggest that i try to use to try to login to the account. What i am working with is a business that has a server with windows small business server, and i can access the files with the user name and password i have, like i can open a window type the ftp address in, it ask for my user name and password and i login and there i can see files, its just when i try to connect to it through dreamweaver it cannot find the remote host??!!

edbr
12-12-2008, 12:16 AM
filezilla,cuteftp are a couple of free ftp programs, presonal but i prefer this way than using dreamweaver

masears88
12-12-2008, 12:47 AM
But what about all the links and href in dreamweaver? They do not come over when you don't export the files through dreamweaver right? Like i am wanting to test the site, i already have a site up and running and i don't want to take it down to get it to work, and if i put it inside another folder the links and such do not want to work?

edbr
12-12-2008, 01:20 AM
links are just code basically so how you upload them should not matter. if you defined your site dw will have written them correctly.

masears88
12-12-2008, 01:57 AM
Yea i did but when i put it on like a folder called beta site, and then try to pull it up in internet explorer it doesn't want to show all pictures and everything else there.

edbr
12-12-2008, 02:55 AM
then your paths are wrong. if the links are from a root folder locally ,the links to the images might be images/image.gif.
If you have put them in a folder without uploading the images to that folder also it will not link to the images.show the URL and we can look at it for you