PDA

View Full Version : Can you create a Content Manager with Dreamweaver ?

Chapo
12-07-2008, 06:47 PM
Just curious if you could actually build a site base on a Content Manager made in Dreamweaver, something like Joomla! or even better.

domedia
12-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Absolutely,
It's a code editor, so you can make anything with it.

Even if you don't know code so much, you can use the built in server functionality to get quite far.

Do you work in code or design view?

Chapo
12-07-2008, 08:26 PM
I do more design view... sometimes code view but only to correct things, im not that good yet at coding, but thats my next class.

Where can i learn to build my own Content Manager, i really wanna learn.

domedia
12-07-2008, 08:40 PM
There's alot of information at the Adobe Developer Center:
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/application_development.html

halfway down the page there's something called "Building web applications with Adobe Dreamweaver Developer Toolbox". I think it should be a good place to start. Hopefully with the information they provide there it should be able to figure out how to use DW for making a CMS.

Chapo
12-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Thanx Domedia.. one more thing, i just read about Adobe's Contribute... how you used this program ?

domedia
12-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Contribute works great if you easily want a client to update their own text and images on their website. It requires that you use the Dreamweaver template system when you create the site, which defines which areas the client can update. It works pretty well for the client, they use Contribute almost as a browser, and when they see some text they want to update they just change it.

You can download a free trial of Contribute at Adobe's site, and the license fee used to be $100 per license, not sure what it is now.

Chapo
12-08-2008, 12:38 AM
Ok, so with Adobe Dreamweaver Developer Toolbox i could build my own site creating my own template and and do a better job than Contribute ?

If this is the case, then i'm building something like Joomla! or even better, right ?

davidj
12-08-2008, 02:23 PM
if dreamweaver was an auto pilot it would allow you to fly the plane and maybe turn left and right. This is fine when you want to fly from A to B.

Joomla / mambo / drupal however dont fly from A to B. They add a few loops and barrel rolls, sometimes they fly inverted, sometimes they spiral. This adds to the excitement of the technology

Wouldnt it be better to learn to fly rather than learning how to turn the auto pilot off and on?

What i mean is learn to code to get the best out of it

domedia
12-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Ok, so with Adobe Dreamweaver Developer Toolbox i could build my own site creating my own template and and do a better job than Contribute ? If you think your skillset is *that* good; yes! :)

If this is the case, then i'm building something like Joomla! or even better, right ? If you think you can do a better job, yes.

Chapo
12-09-2008, 01:21 AM
So what kind of coding should i learn to learn to fly my own plane ....? HTML, PHP...?

domedia
12-09-2008, 02:13 AM
You need a solid understanding of how both front end and back end development works first :-/
Sounds like using Contribute is the best option for you to be honest..

edbr
12-09-2008, 02:58 AM
So what kind of coding should i learn to learn to fly my own plane ....? HTML, PHP...?
both. Joomla and it seems Contribute will be a quick fix but learning php even to my humble level gives you a lot of self determined possibilities.

davidj
12-09-2008, 05:37 AM
you need a comprehensive understanding of HTML and CSS

Then you need a scripting language like PHP

Chapo
12-09-2008, 02:27 PM
EDBR..... so Joomla! its a better CMS than Contribute after i understand more of coding ?

domedia
12-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Better is a relative term, better based on what?

Chapo
12-09-2008, 02:57 PM
Better in the way that i have more control over the things i want to change or edit. Like text and images. I dont find nothing about modules in Contribute, this helps very much like it does in Joomla!, its great for polls, coments and other nice things. And the other thing is about only using DW Templates, is there a way that i could build my own template as i want to use in Contribute and also add SWF files to it ? I can't find no info on this.

domedia
12-09-2008, 03:06 PM
The best thing is probably to download a trial version and try it out, nothing beats first hand experience :)

edbr
12-10-2008, 12:37 AM
Joomla ,mambo and drupal are good for the reasons you mentioned. they are not so easy to change to completely suit your needs, but there are so many components and modules , especially for Joomla that you will probably get close. It gives you the option of getting a site online with a lot of possible features fast
I cant comment on contribute as I've never used it. would depend on your needs i would say

Chapo
12-10-2008, 01:16 AM
Thanx guys.... great notes

Chapo
12-10-2008, 02:46 AM
One more thing.... have you heard or tried ExpressionEngine ? Many companies and designers are getting this as CMS. its seems nice and more pro than the others.

http://expressionengine.com/