PDA

View Full Version : Right click disable

K.Simmonds
11-28-2008, 03:31 PM
I have started to find that other sites are lifting photos off my site. I know that right click disable doesn't stop determined "lifters" but it does deter some. Problem is, I have left click to enlarge using Dreamweaver's behaviours. You can still right click on the enlarged images. Is there a way of disabling that too ?

The code I have used (and inserted between the <HEAD> tags is this:

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
<!-- Disable
function disableselect(e){
return false
}

function reEnable(){
return true
}

//if IE4+
document.onselectstart=new Function ("return false")
document.oncontextmenu=new Function ("return false")
//if NS6
if (window.sidebar){
document.onmousedown=disableselect
document.onclick=reEnable
}
//-->
</script>

domedia
11-28-2008, 08:58 PM
I have started to find that other sites are lifting photos off my site. I know that right click disable doesn't stop determined "lifters" but it does deter some. This is a normal misunderstanding. If anyone wants to use your image as their pc wallpaper, they might get discouraged. If anyone is trying to scam you by using the images 1 of 2 hitng sis goi g to happen:
1. They will save your images like they normally would, not involving right click. Automatically just grab a site copy or page copy.
2. Think that the images must be special, so they'll find a way to get them if they don't know how already.

If anyone is stealing your copyrighted material, you should contact them and tell them to take it off. If not contact their host, they usually have little more choice (if in the U.S) than to change it immediately due to the digital millenium act. Which images are they taking? URL?

Disabling right click will only make your site less accessible.

K.Simmonds
11-30-2008, 10:31 AM
The images they are taking are location shots of a high rating UK Television series. I am contacted by newspapers and magazines all over the world on almost a weekly basis, asking to use photos in return for a write up and url listing. So on the one hand I want the photos to be seen - but it irritates me when I see them on other web sites. You can see the sort of thing I'm talking about on the "Heartbeat" pages of our web site www.glendalehouse.co.uk

domedia
11-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Did you contact them yet?