PDA

View Full Version : Testing a website in IIS

willowtree
11-25-2008, 11:56 AM
I am a novice to Dreamweaver CS3 and am creating a test website on my XP Pro system. I like to tinker around with things so have installed IIS including the FTP options. Instead of simply copying my site files into the IIS default web folder I wondered if it is possible to FTP my test site to localhost or to my ip address for test purposes. Can anyone advise how to configure IIS/Dreamweaver etc to enable me to do this? Simple instructions much appreciated!!

I have Googled for answers on this but cannot find an FTP/IIS combination. I am using thesitewizard.com's Dreamweaver tutorial to try to learn site building but it only tells the reader how to put the site onto a remote domain.

Look forward to any help available.

edbr
11-26-2008, 01:10 AM
think about using an apache server instead

willowtree
11-26-2008, 11:19 AM
I have no objection in trying any application but if I am struggling with iis/ftp in a localhost I am not sure how installing Apache on my system will help to answer my original enquiry. If you can explain the benefits of Apache over iis then I might give it a go. Let's face it, if I own a Ford Focus and cannot understand how to get the aircon to work, I would get advice on that vehicle's system until I could benefit from cool, fresh air. I wouldn't change the car for a Vauxhall.

edbr
11-27-2008, 12:31 AM
fair comment. i just think your ford iis is not good not its airconditioning.
if you want to use apache then look for program like apache2triad, xxamp, wamp, ect which will install apache php mysql, all that you are more likely to encounter when you publish on the web .

willowtree
11-27-2008, 04:36 PM
Hi Major

Many thanks for your patience. I have dumped iis and installed Apache. "It Works".

Now what I need your help with is ftp. Perhaps I have got the wrong idea here but I assumed that it would be possible to use ftp to put my website files onto my localhost webserver (Apache) rather than having to manually place them into the htdocs folder. As I mentioned earlier, the tutorial that I am using to learn Dreamweaver CS3 tells me to use ftp to upload my website. The tutorial actually assumes that the learner will be putting the site onto a commercial webhost but I want to run any tests on my recently installed Apache server. Am I talking rubbish here or can I use ftp to upload my files to my Apache server and if so HOW do I configure whatever I need to configure? I believe CS3 does have its own ftp capability.

edbr
11-28-2008, 01:21 AM
yes it does. use the 'put ' function in dw to update/add ypur files to your local server. As for ftp with dreamweaver to live site even if you are not at that stage yet i always advise using an independant ftp program. i find it clearer to manipulate files .

willowtree
12-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Many thanks for advice, it worked!