PDA

View Full Version : Coder Elites!! What would you do??

xingxang
11-22-2008, 01:31 AM
I need the help of the elite programming/webdev crowd. Upon request of a client, I've taken the following actions with their website that was sitting dead in the water after the Windows host got hit by an SQL injection exploit.

Had the worm cleaned out of the code. The guy hosting it before backed the SQL database and home directory up and provided me with the backup.
Transferred the domain name ownership from the hosting company to the business owners.
The site was written in ASP. I moved the site over on to a ASP-compatible Linux server. After reworking the code, I got the site successfully migrated over and online.
Backed up and transferred e-mail business contacts from the old email store to the new one. Remapped fields as necessary, what wasn't imported I had to manually edit.
Removed Charon Cart shopping cart, set up PayPal for secure cart and checkout process.
Registered the site with DMOZ, Google, Yahoo Search, and MSN Ad Center.
Registered the product items to be readily indexable in Google Shopping(i.e. Google base)
SEO'd the site, now the site's on the first page of Google and AOL using 4 keyphrases.I'm at a complete loss as to what to charge them for the work. It took 35 days to complete, a lot of which was waiting on them to make decisions. I'd estimate it took 20 days to complete. I'm just starting into web development. What would you experts do?

Regards,

xingxang

domedia
11-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Here's what I would do:
Figure out what you want to earn a year.
Estimate how many hours you want to work.
Divide estimated salary with estimated hours and you'll end up with the dollars you want to charge per hour.

Discussions on a specific charge for a project is not allowed.
Why would you have done this work without a contract defining the price for the poroject already?

xingxang
11-23-2008, 06:32 PM
Here's what I would do:
Figure out what you want to earn a year.
Estimate how many hours you want to work.
Divide estimated salary with estimated hours and you'll end up with the dollars you want to charge per hour.

Discussions on a specific charge for a project is not allowed.
Why would you have done this work without a contract defining the price for the poroject already?

I currently support their office systems and network, and have been for about a year now... I HOPE they don't leave me out in the cold! At the time this happened I was out of town on business and didn't have the time to find out how much it would be for a job like this, let alone to study how to get it done. I tried to hire a web guy on contract, but that didn't work out well, so I decided to learn ASP, MySQL, phpMyAdmin, SEO, and just reverse engineered the code to figure out how to make it work to get them where they wanted to be.

I claim full responsibility for not setting the cost framework to begin with, and thus my cry for help! Thanks for your response domedia. :)

davidj
11-23-2008, 11:20 PM
take the time it took then calculate the hourly rate (as Dom said)

dont under price yourself.

check out how much a developer would be worth on salary and calc the hourly rate and use that as a guide.

i would also draw up a contract for future changes and support or you will end up doing loads of ad-hoc work for peanuts. If a client thinks your cheap then he will use this to his advantage and you will get more and more Change Requests a month.

xingxang
11-24-2008, 02:56 AM
take the time it took then calculate the hourly rate (as Dom said)

dont under price yourself.

check out how much a developer would be worth on salary and calc the hourly rate and use that as a guide.

i would also draw up a contract for future changes and support or you will end up doing loads of ad-hoc work for peanuts. If a client thinks your cheap then he will use this to his advantage and you will get more and more Change Requests a month.

Just out of curiosity, other than legal means, how would you as a developer protect yourself if a client failed to pay, or failed to pay on the agreed terms?

domedia
11-24-2008, 01:30 PM
I don't think there is another mean, or should be another mean. This is exactly what the legal part of it is for.

When that is said: If you don't have a contract, your client have no claim on anything you've made. Depending on the country you reside in, copyright is often automatic. The moment you make something, it's yours.