PDA

View Full Version : Website/shopping cart/hosting/merchant account....my head is swimming.

tnostrant
11-20-2008, 05:29 PM
I need help with the concept. I have a current godaddy websitetonight website ( www.Click-Stand.com (http://www.Click-Stand.com) ), their quick shopping cart, and use PayPal to accept credit cards. I want to create a new, and better, website with Dreamweaver. My problems start with shopping carts & merchant accounts. There seems to be different ways to approach this, and they are all starting to muddle together.

There seems to be shopping cart software & scripts that work with Dreamweaver. If I choose that path, is the shopping cart just a part of my website? Would it be hosted along with my website? If so would I be saving the cost of having someone such as SecureNetShop host the shopping cart alone? If I could, and did do that, how does it interact with a merchant account? Oh, and did I mention to throw in the gateway word?

It is right about there that my head starts to swim & I think about giving up and paying SecureNetShop to host the shopping cart & coordinate the merchant account. Then I can't stop wondering if they are the best source of that.

I want to let customers enter non-USA addresses.
I want to be able to download records into Quickbooks.
I want to accept credit cards, but not store that information.
I want to be able to accept card #'s over the phone.
I want my cake and to eat it too.

What should I do?

domedia
11-20-2008, 05:58 PM
You're basically brand new to ecommerce, and you want to build an ecommerce website yourself. Am I right?
Sound like you should purchase complete solution, like Yahoo Shop.

Corrosive
11-20-2008, 06:01 PM
You're basically brand new to ecommerce, and you want to build an ecommerce website yourself. Am I right?
Sound like you should purchase complete solution, like Yahoo Shop.

I agree. Or e-bay store?

tnostrant
11-20-2008, 07:21 PM
Ok, I do understand that parts of this are over my head. I should be able, with some work, create a website & link it to a hosted shopping cart, such as SecureNetShop. That is what I'm doing now, but it is a very restrictive WebSiteTonight website.

Lets say the I hired someone to create the shopping cart part, or my entire effort. Would there be an advantage to having the shopping cart be part of my site rathre than remotely hosted?

Thanks for your help,
Tom

Corrosive
11-20-2008, 07:29 PM
Ok, I do understand that parts of this are over my head. I should be able, with some work, create a website & link it to a hosted shopping cart, such as SecureNetShop. That is what I'm doing now, but it is a very restrictive WebSiteTonight website.

Lets say the I hired someone to create the shopping cart part, or my entire effort. Would there be an advantage to having the shopping cart be part of my site rathre than remotely hosted?

Thanks for your help,
Tom

You checked out any open source shopping carts? OSCommerce or Zen Cart?

domedia
11-20-2008, 07:31 PM
Or a canned solution like Yahoo Shop. You can design the website, use your own domain name and get automatic integrated ecommerce.
But now I'm repeating myself..