PDA

View Full Version : Lost Design

oak lea
11-19-2008, 08:44 AM
Hi All

this is my first post and looking for some knowledgable person to help me out. I am new to dreamweaver also and have used a template to create my first web site. The problem is that last night I checked the site via the ftp and it was how I wanted it to look. Checked the http and it was the same on the screen.

However from my computer here in work I checked it out and all the graphics are missing only leaving the text.

What have I done wrong?

John

edbr
11-19-2008, 09:01 AM
the images are still on your site? is so download copies to ypur computer. you must have deleted them somehow.

oak lea
11-19-2008, 09:39 AM
Hi Thanks

take a look http://www.thepigeonplace.co.uk

John

domedia
11-19-2008, 01:50 PM
All your files are pointing to the C:/ drive on whichever computer you are visiting the website with.
Your home computer is the only one that has the files exactly there:
<link href="file:///C|/Documents and Settings/John/Desktop/longbeach/longbeach/style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" />

Did you follow the manual and set up your site before you started making it?

oak lea
11-19-2008, 02:00 PM
Hi Domedia

Thanks for your observation. I did not realise this. I have set up the site if you mean the ftp and registering it.

Is all I need to do is transfer all the information to the ftp files??

Im sorry im so neglect of wisdom on this but its something im trying to learn.

Could you tell me why you can see the text ive put in and none of the graphics.

John

domedia
11-19-2008, 02:07 PM
Hi Domedia

Thanks for your observation. I did not realise this. I have set up the site if you mean the ftp and registering it. No I mean setting up your site in DW before you start making it. You cannot just start with new->file. Did you look in the manual? :)

Is all I need to do is transfer all the information to the ftp files?? Nope, all the FTP transfer seem to work just well.

Could you tell me why you can see the text ive put in and none of the graphics. I already did in my first post :) All the links to the images and CSS files are not linking to your website, they're linking to the C: drive because you did not set up a site in DW before you started making your pages. The full manual is in the help files.

oak lea
11-19-2008, 02:15 PM
Doh

Sorry see what you mean now!!

I did initially set it up for that site but have redone it again and just assumed it would save in that old file I set up.

So the answer is no! there is one containing the old style site I had for thepigeonplace.co.uk. So whats best to do then?. Set up another file for that site or can I just transfer this info over to that file in DW?

Sorry for being an ass

John

domedia
11-19-2008, 02:32 PM
There is no file missing. You're stylesheet is fine :)
It's the setup process of adding a site into DW you've missed. I don' know how to append this after the fact..
anyone?

oak lea
11-20-2008, 08:11 AM
All sorted now thank you

www.thepigeonplace.co.uk (http://www.thepigeonplace.co.uk)

John

domedia
11-20-2008, 02:46 PM
Yeah all works now. Nice design!

oak lea
11-21-2008, 08:29 AM
Many Thanks