PDA

View Full Version : Blurred Type

HangmanQ
11-18-2008, 06:14 PM
This is probably more of a photoshop question but I'll give it a shot-

I bring in an image from photoshop (around 700x350 pixels) which has some text I made in photoshop (its quite small, like size 4 but it has to be done in photoshop as it's rotated and will not need future editing).

I guess its due to the pixel and font size but the text gets quite blurred when you zoom in when I preview in IE/firefox.

What is the normal way to overcome this? I've tried different settings in photoshop but it always seems to blur when I zoom in in DW.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

domedia
11-18-2008, 06:40 PM
You first say zoom in in IE/FF, and then you say zoom in in DW..
Can you outline the steps a little more specific? :)

HangmanQ
11-18-2008, 07:15 PM
Hello thanks for the reply, well the type it's blurred in both DW and when I preview it in IE/firefox, I guess I'm more wondering what can be done in photoshop to make sure it wont blur when I zoom in in DW. I've tried different fonts so it's not the specific font I'm using.

Corrosive
11-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Hello thanks for the reply, well the type it's blurred in both DW and when I preview it in IE/firefox, I guess I'm more wondering what can be done in photoshop to make sure it wont blur when I zoom in in DW. I've tried different fonts so it's not the specific font I'm using.

Are you making DW or the browser resize the text/image?

domedia
11-18-2008, 07:48 PM
You didn't really answer my question.
screenshots? steps? url? anything?

HangmanQ
11-18-2008, 08:00 PM
No I'm not resizing in DW, I have the size as I want it in photoshop. In terms of steps-

1. Make the image in photoshop (basically just a black area) and add white type in a textbox to it (franklin gothic medium is the font). I then save it as a jpeg with quality set to maximum. Then I insert it in DW, as i said i dont resize the image, then I preview it in IE and it appears blurry when I zoom in on it.

I'll upload a screenshot somewhere when I get the chance.

Corrosive
11-18-2008, 08:03 PM
I'll upload a screenshot somewhere when I get the chance.

Yes please cos I am confused :confused:

I'm sure there is a simple answer.

d a v e
11-18-2008, 08:19 PM
well of course it's blurry when you zoom in on it - whenever you make an image larger it has to be interpolated and added pixels are guesstimated. you can't add any more information to the image that isn't there already, only let the browser guess where to add pixels to make the image larger when zooming in.
and for sure IE is going to have a naffer engine for that than PS has.

if it's text in just a black background then you should be saving it as a gif or 8-bit png (png equivalent of gif) anyway, though you will still run into the same insurmountable problem when zooming in ;)

hummer2001
11-18-2008, 09:55 PM
This will always happen with zoomed rasterized text. When you zoom in using photoshop or a browser you are getting closer to the pixels that make up the text, as it is only 4pts its going to be tiny and blurry anyway. You need to use vector graphics to achieve smooth curves that can be zoomed in on without losing resolution.

d a v e
11-19-2008, 03:10 AM
This will always happen with zoomed rasterized text. When you zoom in using photoshop or a browser you are getting closer to the pixels that make up the text, as it is only 4pts its going to be tiny and blurry anyway. You need to use vector graphics to achieve smooth curves that can be zoomed in on without losing resolution.

so you mean svg?! not natively supported by a lot of browsers and i'm not sure it is zoomed as vectors by the browsers that do.
nah, this is how images will look when zoomed anyway - and 4pt text as a an image is pretty small. use something a bit bigger in the first place or just accept that this is is how it is.
- or use real text i.e. text in html that can be resize in the browser without loss (but not quite as small as 4pt equivalent :)

hummer2001
11-19-2008, 11:22 AM
svg is an option, but flash is what I was thinking.

d a v e
11-19-2008, 07:36 PM
well without seeing the page it's hard to say whether flash would be necessary - i would still go with real text if it fits into the design. 4pt text is way small!

hummer2001
11-19-2008, 08:59 PM
indeed it is. especially rasterised 4pt text :P

hummer2001
11-19-2008, 09:05 PM
flash would be an extreme solution for something like this, however I do think it would be one of the only options for zoomable smooth text, since the poster has suggested that the text in rotated. To my knowledge this cannot be achieved with html/css text. Flash would be overkill for what the poster is suggesting rly. but as dave suggested we would need to see a screenshot/link to advise.