PDA

View Full Version : newbie from scratch

sensorai
11-17-2008, 07:13 PM
Hi all, new today..

I'd like some advice on what books I should get so I can complete my project.

I want to make a profile website, where members would sign up, be able to post pics, videos, music, a basic site thats free, and one paid one with more features.

of course a forum and blogs as well.

Only thing I'm really good with is photoshop and hammering out a layout in there but only had limited time with dreamweaver.

Flash i'm confident I can pickup fairly easy.

So with said said, how many years am I looking at to compete this myself? lol....what books do you recommend I should purchase. I have dreamweaver but waiting till I get a solid layout first in ps before I start messing around.

Will I need to know how to code or can I squeek by ?

sensorai
11-17-2008, 07:20 PM
edit: oh and i'd also like it so each person would have their own personal url they could link do others so people can view it without having to login

davidj
11-17-2008, 09:17 PM
you need to understand the underlying code

you need a good understanding of HTML, CSS in order to construct your site

then to add dynamics you need a scripting language and a database

domedia
11-17-2008, 09:51 PM
I'd add 6 months just for the programming part.

Corrosive
11-18-2008, 06:13 AM
I'd add 6 months just for the programming part.

I agree. You are looking at about 18 months solid learning to do this and that's only if you learn quickly. Maybe scale down your expectations/plans for the time being.

hummer2001
11-18-2008, 10:30 AM
If you have previous coding experience with other languages as I do, this will probably allow you to skim over some bits, but I must admit there are areas from the coding side I wish i had spent a bit more time with. The w3 schools site is very good for understanding the basics of coding. Dreamweaver will only get you so far, its only a matter of time until you figure out that you will also need to hard code certain things for your designs to work. Knowing how to hard code the bad bits out of dreamweaver is half the battle. The positioning and floating are a bit difficult to understand at first and experimentation with code is the best learning resource for the techniques required. I used ten ton dreamweaver by geoff blake to get me started. Its an ok book for making your bog standard site, but you soon realise that a lot of what you'll need will be beyond the scope of books like this.

I would also recommend only using ps initially to get a very basic idea, then see what options you can get with your code as regards layout and then use the layout you coded to determine the pieces that need to be created in ps. You will find that layout in web browsers is quite limiting for certain things, so try not to make the mistake of doing up a beautiful looking page in ps and then realising that theres no way it can be coded.