PDA

View Full Version : Creating a database of students

dkco
11-17-2008, 09:57 AM
Hello. I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to dynamic websites. I've designed the occasional 'pretty pictures, general info' website from time to time, but nothing really dynamic. I just had to look up PHP and ASP with Google to see what those actually were. XML, too. I'm not very good with TLAs (Three Letter Acronyms). So this should be a simply question for those of you more Dreamweaver savvy than I.

So a friend of mine asked me to take the student info of all the students at her language center and put them online. Basically when a student checks the site, they'll see a general welcome message and a prompt. They'll type in their student number, and when they hit Enter they'll be presented with their name, what level they're in, what days they attend and what times. At first I thought maybe I'd need to do this in Access, but the server won't handle ASP, so maybe that means I should use MySQL ... ?

Anyways, I'm not looking for someone to tell me every step in the process to do this. I just need to know what programs I should be using for this, and if I have to create a database or if there is an easier way. I just need to know what general direction to move in, and from there I can read tutorials and Google whatever I don't understand. Thanks.

edbr
11-17-2008, 10:07 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum.
What you describe is fairly easily done with mysql an php . take a look at the video tutorials on this site from starting to a login membership system which is basically what you need

dkco
11-17-2008, 10:08 AM
Excellent, thanks for the tip.