PDA

View Full Version : Newbie inherits site: how to inventory what I've got?

JimK
11-12-2008, 04:19 PM
I've just learned how to spell Dreamweaver. How do I take an inventory of
what "components" are included in the site I've inherited?

Corrosive
11-12-2008, 04:49 PM
I've just learned how to spell Dreamweaver. How do I take an inventory of
what "components" are included in the site I've inherited?

Hi Jim and welcome to the forum and DW.

you need to set up the site (under 'manage sites') in DW using the details and password you will have from your provider. Then 'synchronize' site and select 'get files from remote server'. You should then have all the site files you need and will be ready to add/change them in DW.

Cheers

domedia
11-12-2008, 05:00 PM
And this is all covered in the first chapters of the manual. RTFM :-)

JimK
11-12-2008, 09:31 PM
Thanks domedia. Whats the name/id/ISBN of TFM that I'm supposed to R?

JimK
11-12-2008, 09:40 PM
Thanks, Corrosive. Can I presume that the files are enough to glean the structure, whatever that means in dreamweaver, of the site. My background wants me to see some kind of program listing, compiler output, object dependency, tree structure, or whatever it takes to understand both the "big picture" and "program details". Am I way off base here? Am I expecting too much/too little?

domedia
11-13-2008, 12:21 AM
Thanks domedia. Whats the name/id/ISBN of TFM that I'm supposed to R? It actually ships as part of your software :) You can access it from DW's menu, it has a F key shortcut.. forgot which one.

d a v e
11-13-2008, 03:13 AM
f1----------------

Corrosive
11-13-2008, 06:16 AM
Thanks, Corrosive. Can I presume that the files are enough to glean the structure, whatever that means in dreamweaver, of the site. My background wants me to see some kind of program listing, compiler output, object dependency, tree structure, or whatever it takes to understand both the "big picture" and "program details". Am I way off base here? Am I expecting too much/too little?

You'll be able to view a site structure in one of the panels on the right hand side of the screen. I forget which one but should be in 'TFM' as Domedia pointed out. Should give you a good idea. You could also run a free sitemap generator and use that as well.