PDA

View Full Version : Should I be using a CMS or DW with programming?

jerocks
11-12-2008, 03:14 PM
I am creating a new website with DW and someone had suggested I look into CMS. They said I could combine DW with Joomla. I looked at Joomla and it seems interesting. I am just not sure if it's a good fit for what I am doing. Can you give me your thoughts?

I am creating a website which will allow users to rate and give feedback on professionals. Some examples of this would be www.ratemds.com or www.kudzu.com (rates companies but similar idea).

I am trying to figure out which would be the most efficient way to develop the site. Straight DW with some programming behind it to make the site do what I want or use Joomla or another CMS.

My biggest concern when using Joomla is lack of ability to use my own html/css. Is it even possible to use DW for layout/design and then use Joomla for the consumer feedback part?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I am new to this CMS idea and am trying to determine the most efficient way to develop the site.

edbr
11-13-2008, 12:49 AM
Joomla is great in terms of getting a site quickly, there are lots of components many free.
joomla section can be installed in a directory on a site so you could have both i guess.
any Joomla template has a css file so you can change the appearance.
there is an extension fow DW and joomla, never used it though i downloaded it free then though better of it.

I have been told, again never tried, that Drupal is a much easier system to customise.
At least with Jomla there is a wide selection of mods and components available and support forums.
Why dont you down load a copy of Joomla and try it on a local server and see hoe you feel about it

davidj
11-13-2008, 06:27 AM
i have been evaluating Drupal which is going to become my companies web presence platform. The design house has about 30 of these sites under their belt and have never built a static html site from the ground up. They reckon its easier to skin Drupal and then configure the app to the needs of the company its a quicker turn around

I am going to become a Drupal expert apparently

digitaldesperad
11-17-2008, 06:27 PM
DW with Joomla...i don't think so..i triyed once in one of my sites and wasn't so great as i thought :(

davidj
11-17-2008, 08:59 PM
this is whats possible in drupal

http://www.drupalsites.net/

domedia
11-17-2008, 09:49 PM
DW with Joomla...i don't think so..i triyed once in one of my sites and wasn't so great as i thought :(
Can you elaborate? DW is just a code editor, so what you can do with Joomla, you can do with Joomla and DW. As Ed mentioned, there is an extension as well.