PDA

View Full Version : Define in...

blackatlas
11-12-2008, 05:32 AM
I'm fairly new to dreamweaver, learning as i go, but many questions:

When creating a new code, it gives me the option to create this code in a 'CSS' or 'this document only'.

Now i don't see the difference between the two. Sure the CSS creates a seperate file containing all the styles. And 'this document only' puts the styles within the html file. But what are they exactly? why couldn't all my styles be embedded in my html file?

And if possible my aim screenname is: Riceepicker
if anybody could give me a little q/a session that'll be nice!
Thanks!

Corrosive
11-12-2008, 06:17 AM
I'm fairly new to dreamweaver, learning as i go, but many questions:

When creating a new code, it gives me the option to create this code in a 'CSS' or 'this document only'.

Now i don't see the difference between the two. Sure the CSS creates a seperate file containing all the styles. And 'this document only' puts the styles within the html file. But what are they exactly? why couldn't all my styles be embedded in my html file?

And if possible my aim screenname is: Riceepicker
if anybody could give me a little q/a session that'll be nice!
Thanks!

Morning (in the UK)

If you keep styles in a separate sheet you can make changes to styles site-wide. I.e. if you want all your h1 tags to be red over Christmas (I know, bit cheesy) then you will change h1 in the stylesheet and the change will be effective across all pages that are linked to this sheet. If you put styles in your pages then these changes will effect that page only and it kind of defeats the object of controlling styles through CSS.

Hope this helps

blackatlas
11-19-2008, 04:48 AM
sorry to revive a semi-dead topic. So i created all my css styles within the document, how can i convert all of these styles into an external css?

edbr
11-19-2008, 05:13 AM
take all between <style type="text/css">
<!-- and </styles> aslo delete this tag. save your code in a seperate sheet called (IE) layout.css the link to that in your original document<link rel="stylesheet" media="all" type="text/css" href="layout.css" />

Corrosive
11-19-2008, 06:08 AM
Morning (in the UK)

If you keep styles in a separate sheet you can make changes to styles site-wide. I.e. if you want all your h1 tags to be red over Christmas (I know, bit cheesy) then you will change h1 in the stylesheet and the change will be effective across all pages that are linked to this sheet. If you put styles in your pages then these changes will effect that page only and it kind of defeats the object of controlling styles through CSS.

Hope this helps

Interesting that you chose to ignore my advice in the first place lol. :)