PDA

View Full Version : Valid page or invalid page

coloeagle
11-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Now I know that technically with a single error or warning a page is considered to be invalid. Just curious about others thoughts.

Where, if any, do you draw the line and consider a web page invalid?
Do you give a little room for minor mistakes?

Rob_Che
11-11-2008, 01:53 PM
If you get a green box it's valid - if you don't it's not ! :)

It depends what it's failing on I guess...
Do you have a link ? Can you correct it ?

Most errors can be fixed pretty easily, depends on the DOC type though...

domedia
11-11-2008, 02:24 PM
It does depend on what is failing :-)
Use validation as a debugging tool. If you site works, then it doesn't really matter if it get's a green box or not.
http://jeffcroft.com/blog/2008/feb/24/your-markup-validator/ <-- smart guy
http://www.google.com <-- does not validate, but works.. very well.

coloeagle
11-11-2008, 03:14 PM
No link. I don't have a problem getting pages to validate. I agree that the correct dtd is helpful.

With the knowledgeable coders here I was just curious as to what others thoughts were.

Both of you bring up a good point about it depending on what is failing. If the page displays properly in different browsers and all functions work well would you consider a high number ok?

For me personally I like to see the green check mark as it let's me know that the site I'm on cares about this issue. Not wanting to get into the whole accessibility issue but with valid code or with very few coding issues these sites have that bit of extra - knowing that their sites are more accessible.

domedia
11-11-2008, 03:23 PM
Both of you bring up a good point about it depending on what is failing. If the page displays properly in different browsers and all functions work well would you consider a high number ok? Number of errors has nothing to do with it. The nature of the error is what matters. :)

For me personally I like to see the green check mark as it let's me know that the site I'm on cares about this issue. Not wanting to get into the whole accessibility issue but with valid code or with very few coding issues these sites have that bit of extra - knowing that their sites are more accessible.
Accessibility is not the same as valid code. They have a lot in common, but you should treated as two separate things. My bet is that the 100 most popular sites on the web all fail their HTML validation. It doesn't mean that people don't go to those websites.
Validation as a debugging tool during development.

If you treat 'valid code' as 'good website', you've misunderstood ;)