PDA

View Full Version : How to make behaviour: open window without resizeable?

iamlowlikeyou
11-09-2008, 06:03 PM
I want to use behaviour to create a link that opens in a new window.
How do I make it so that the new window cannot be resized?
The new window contains a picture, can I make it so the picture is centered, no matter how large the window is?
And one last thing: can I make it so that the new window is centered on screen?

Thank you!:mrgreen:

iamlowlikeyou
11-09-2008, 06:24 PM
And oh yeah, I forgot one thing: Can I also make it so that the new window contains absolutely no bars, both address/search bar and navigation bars?

d a v e
11-09-2008, 07:29 PM
something like this is your best bet
http://www.lokeshdhakar.com/projects/lightbox2/

iamlowlikeyou
11-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Thank you!
I'll take a look at that :)

edbr
11-10-2008, 06:58 AM
look at this link it gives you all the elements you can control in a new page with javascript
http://www.webdevelopersnotes.com/tutorials/javascript/creating_opening_new_window_pop_ups_javascript.php 3

iamlowlikeyou
11-10-2008, 02:21 PM
look at this link it gives you all the elements you can control in a new page with javascript
http://www.webdevelopersnotes.com/tutorials/javascript/creating_opening_new_window_pop_ups_javascript.php 3

Thank you, I'll look at that too.
The lightbox thing is a little too hightech for me, I'd like to keep it very oldschool.

domedia
11-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Thank you, I'll look at that too.
The lightbox thing is a little too hightech for me, I'd like to keep it very oldschool. Why on earth would you like that? :)

Corrosive
11-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Why on earth would you like that? :)

I agree with Dom. Lightbox or Thickbox look great and, with a little persistence, are ok to install. Lightbox in particular has great step-by-step instructions.

domedia
11-10-2008, 06:56 PM
oldschool in web dev usually means 'wrong'.
Examples:

tables for layout
frames for layout
code for one browser

etc

iamlowlikeyou
11-11-2008, 07:15 PM
:mrgreen: It's because I'm working on an art website!
And I'd like it to have the oldschool aesthetics...
But thanks for your replies, I have it all worked out now :)

iamlowlikeyou
11-11-2008, 07:17 PM
Oh, by the way... As I mentioned earlier, I'm VERY newbie in building websites. Excuse me if you already said this, but what are using instead of frames now?

domedia
11-11-2008, 07:24 PM
And I'd like it to have the oldschool aesthetics... Using frames has nothing to do with aesthetics :) It's a technical solution to emmbed external webpages on your site.
All aesthetics are to be done in your style sheet. Are you looking for scrollbars, is that why you're thinking frames?
If so just use overflow: scroll in CSS.
Tutorial here:
http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/css-scroller.php

iamlowlikeyou
11-11-2008, 09:38 PM
I see :)
But frames allow me to "mend" several html pages in "one page", how do I do this without the use of frames?

domedia
11-11-2008, 09:42 PM
You don't. If you want an effective way of creating pages using different files, use server includes.
By using frames, you're creating a system that is very difficult to handle, and which creates several usability and accessibility issues. Including how people can interact with your pages and search engines. It seems you're not familiar with common development techniques either.. a good book might be an option as well ( and stop listening to whoever told you to use frames and oldskool techniques) ;)

iamlowlikeyou
11-11-2008, 10:17 PM
:-DNo one told me to.
It just seemed like the easiest way of doing what I wanted...
So what are you usually using for example for things like static menu and scrollable content? Flash?

domedia
11-11-2008, 10:43 PM
:-DNo one told me to.
It just seemed like the easiest way of doing what I wanted...
Definitely worth learning some best practices :)
So what are you usually using for example for things like static menu and scrollable content? Flash? Regular text or images I think are the most common.

iamlowlikeyou
11-11-2008, 10:47 PM
Well anyway, can you recommend any good books?