PDA

View Full Version : How to edit color/lightness of leaves in Photoshop

Interstellar Icon
11-09-2008, 09:05 AM
Hi All,

I'm relatively new to Photoshop, and I'm having a problem with a website template that I'm working on. Here's the unedited image:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff183/DesignDude/lisa_brothwell_index_v2010-26.jpg

My client asked if I could make the leaves at the top of the design greener and lighter. After playing around with the image filters, I came up with this:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff183/DesignDude/lisa_brothwell_index_v2111-02.jpg

We both agree that the leaves toward the right side (over 'brothwell phd') look good, but the leaves on the left (over 'lisa m') look "fake". Any suggestions on what I can do to make these look better?

Here's what I've done to create the existing changes:

Image -> Adjustments -> Levels
-Channel: Green
-Output Levels (low value): +50

Image -> Adjustments -> Hue/Saturation
-Lightness: +5

Any input or suggestions welcomed. :)

Thanks,
Sam

Rob_Che
11-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Doesn't sound like you're far off. The 'fake' appearence may be due to the cropping/masking style you're using rather than the color selection... but anyway...

OK... Try;
Masking the area you want to edit (even making a new layer from it)
Select the color you want the leaves to be with the eyedropper.
Go to Hue/Saturation: Colorize.
Lighten the areas you want, this will pull through the foreground color too...

I'm not at my PC at the mo... I might have a play later...

d a v e
11-09-2008, 02:35 PM
have you got a link to a better quality version or even the psd??

Interstellar Icon
11-10-2008, 04:09 AM
Hey Guys,

Thanks very much for your input.

Doesn't sound like you're far off. The 'fake' appearence may be due to the cropping/masking style you're using rather than the color selection... but anyway...

OK... Try;
Masking the area you want to edit (even making a new layer from it)
Select the color you want the leaves to be with the eyedropper.
Go to Hue/Saturation: Colorize.
Lighten the areas you want, this will pull through the foreground color too...

I'm not at my PC at the mo... I might have a play later...

I used the Magic Wand Tool to select the leaves, and then applied the filters while they were still selected. I can try masking if you think it will make a difference, and if I do, wouldn't I want to mask the areas I don't want to edit? (Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I want to make sure I'm understanding what you're saying.)

I'll try the process you outlined and let you know how I make out. If you come up with anything else, please let me know. :)

have you got a link to a better quality version or even the psd??

The JPGs I uploaded were saved with the highest quality settings in Photoshop (File -> Save As). I think what you're seeing is the the Diffuse Glow filter (Filter -> Distort -> Diffuse Glow) I applied in an effort to make the image look a bit less "literal". I don't really like this look, either, and that was going to be my next question. :roll:

Here's the original image:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff183/DesignDude/water03.jpg

Let me know if that does it for you.

Thanks again,
Sam

Corrosive
11-10-2008, 07:03 AM
Hey Guys,

Thanks very much for your input.

I used the Magic Wand Tool to select the leaves, and then applied the filters while they were still selected. I can try masking if you think it will make a difference, and if I do, wouldn't I want to mask the areas I don't want to edit? (Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I want to make sure I'm understanding what you're saying.)

I'll try the process you outlined and let you know how I make out. If you come up with anything else, please let me know. :)

The JPGs I uploaded were saved with the highest quality settings in Photoshop (File -> Save As). I think what you're seeing is the the Diffuse Glow filter (Filter -> Distort -> Diffuse Glow) I applied in an effort to make the image look a bit less "literal". I don't really like this look, either, and that was going to be my next question. :roll:

Here's the original image:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff183/DesignDude/water03.jpg

Let me know if that does it for you.

Thanks again,
Sam

Hi Sam

In my opinion you are heading down a difficult path with this design. It will be very 'image heavy' and the surrounding images will distract viewers from the content. I would suggest toning it down a bit.

Interstellar Icon
11-11-2008, 08:33 AM
Hi Sam

In my opinion you are heading down a difficult path with this design. It will be very 'image heavy' and the surrounding images will distract viewers from the content. I would suggest toning it down a bit.

Thanks Corrosive. I think that's good input, and it's something I'll definitely keep in mind as I move forward. I think the finished site will appear less "image heavy" than the template, as the "page" portion of the design should take up most of the screen for most user settings. I'll post here again once I have a page up for additional feedback. :)

Sam

Corrosive
11-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Thanks Corrosive. I think that's good input, and it's something I'll definitely keep in mind as I move forward. I think the finished site will appear less "image heavy" than the template, as the "page" portion of the design should take up most of the screen for most user settings. I'll post here again once I have a page up for additional feedback. :)

Sam

Hey Sam

When I said 'image heavy' I was referring to download speed of pages. People tend to use simple repeating or colour backgrounds because it keeps the file size of images down. I think your background will take an age to load as it was one huge image.

Just a thought mate :)

Rob_Che
11-11-2008, 10:17 PM
My advice? Find another image... once you've messed and lightened and edited and masked it's going to look a mess...

Just my 2p,.

d a v e
11-12-2008, 04:10 AM
or use a cropped, smaller version as a header

Rob_Che
11-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Or grayscale it and hand color it ?
If you're set on that image maybe you could make it look more like an illustration - you have more freedom then.

Interstellar Icon
11-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all your input - I ended up redoing the color/lightness adjustment to make it less extreme, and then used the 'Shadow/Highlight' adjustment to bring out more of the contrast in the leaves. Here's where I ended up:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff183/DesignDude/lisa_brothwell_index_v2311-13.jpg

My client likes it, so I think I'm good to go.

A couple of comments on your comments:

Hey Sam

When I said 'image heavy' I was referring to download speed of pages. People tend to use simple repeating or colour backgrounds because it keeps the file size of images down. I think your background will take an age to load as it was one huge image.

Just a thought mate :)

The images I've posted here are 'maximized', not 'optimized', so the actual pages should be much smaller in size. This leads me to another question: When you're providing proofs for your clients (i.e. .jpg images and the like), do you usually show the designs maximized, optimized, or somewhere in between?

Or grayscale it and hand color it ?
If you're set on that image maybe you could make it look more like an illustration - you have more freedom then.

I was actually trying to make this image a bit less "literal", and the only thing I could find that worked was the 'Diffuse Glow' filter (in the 'Distort' menu). It helped a bit, bit I'd like to make it even less literal than it is, if possible, but I don't want to go all the way to making it look like a painting. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for all of your help - it is appreciated. :)

Sam