PDA

View Full Version : what is it called when a frame stays while navigating?

iamlowlikeyou
11-07-2008, 06:38 PM
I am extremely unknowing about building websites, so far I have only used the design mode in dreamweaver...

I want to make a thing that I don't even know what's called:
How do I make that classic menu that stays the same while navigating through the website?
I guess what I'm asking is how do I make a frame with hyperlinks that stays in its place, while the hyperlinks open in another frame? (I don't even know if "frame" is the right word...)
Is it possible to do this in dreamweaver in design mode, or do I have to use code?

Thanks!

domedia
11-07-2008, 06:57 PM
'fixed' is maybe the word you're looking for.

Rob_Che
11-07-2008, 08:45 PM
Or FrameSet ? *shudder*

edbr
11-08-2008, 12:41 AM
use a division and you can use DW to write the code for you using the design/css panel as Dom said you are looking for position:fixed; attribute

Rob_Che
11-08-2008, 10:08 AM
...as Dom said you are looking for position:fixed; attribute
Sounds like a description of a Frameset to me :-D

d a v e
11-08-2008, 10:19 AM
or something like this
http://www.clearlyadvanced.com/css-frames.php

domedia
11-08-2008, 11:11 PM
I think the OP wants something to stay in the same spot in the viewport, even when scrolling the page.
iamlowlikeyou, can you specify a little?

iamlowlikeyou
11-09-2008, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the answers!

I haven't got around to try it yet, but I think "frameset" might be it.

I think the OP wants something to stay in the same spot in the viewport, even when scrolling the page.
iamlowlikeyou, can you specify a little?

I don't know if I can specify more, as I don't know the technical terms :)
But try and look at for example this page: http://www.brainwashed.com/coil/main.html
It's that menu thing I'm after - where the menu stays the same while you navigate through the site.

iamlowlikeyou
11-09-2008, 07:19 AM
Okay, I got the frameset thing - that was quite easy.
Now my question is; how I do I make it so that a linked element in one frame actually opens the link in the other frame, while the first frame stays the same?

domedia
11-09-2008, 03:26 PM
frameset is not the solution, I think Rob was joking :)
You want to use CSS: 'position: fixed'.

iamlowlikeyou
11-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Thanks again :)

Anyway I dropped the frameset thing, and just did a site duplication, so it looks the same, and is easier to manage.