PDA

View Full Version : CSS...the next step

Diesel Junior
10-28-2008, 07:43 AM
Hi there, first thanks for your help so far its much appreciated! OK, my website www.udaltea.es is up and running and although its basic and a first attempt the Town Hall is happy with it! Down the line i will go the CSS route, the old chestnut that the font etc looks different in IE then it does to FF and Opera....is this problem cured/lessened by using CSS?:confused:

domedia
10-28-2008, 07:49 AM
the old chestnut that the font etc looks different in IE then it does to FF and Opera....is this problem cured/lessened by using CSS?:confused: Not really, it's not why you should use CSS.
This is not a common problem AFAIK.
If you have this problem, a reset CSS file will make sure your style values for elements are alike across browsers.

duncancapp
10-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Just had a look at your site, just a quick note that it is still stated as an untitled document.

I presume you are using Dreamweaver, you just need to add a title to each page

Regards

Duncan

Diesel Junior
10-28-2008, 02:12 PM
ok, thanks chaps, untitled document problem will be first on the hit list (as it looks the easiest!) then will have a go at the CSS issue. Thanks again, the dj

Ricky55
10-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Just use web safe fonts DJ and you should be fine, these are fonts that are standard on PC's and Macs.

You can see a list here
http://www.ampsoft.net/webdesign-l/WindowsMacFonts.html

Browser will always render them (make them look slightly different) no mate what you use, the only way to guarantee the look is to use an image which is fine in small doses like for headings etc but using real fonts is better for many reasons.

One of the things you quickly learn about Web design is that everything is always a compromise. I personally really hate how IE6 renders all fonts they just look rubbish.

Diesel Junior
11-02-2008, 11:45 AM
Thanks for that. the one i am using is Trebuchet (which is on the safe font list) but its bloody IE, looks fine in Opera and FF but IE7 just messes it up! time to learn what a 'reset CSS file' as mentioned above is all about!;-)