PDA

View Full Version : File Activity Incomplete Message- File Erased On Server

magictricks
10-23-2008, 09:01 PM
I am using Dreamweaver CS3.

I have been using this since last spring on my website, MagicTricks.com.

Today, as I was uploading the changes to a file, I got an error message in the Background File Activity window. "File activity incomplete. 1 file(s) or folder(s) were not completed."

I opened my IE browser to the .htm page where the file is located to see if the aborted upload made any change on the page- and the page is now completely blank.

The page in question is http://www.magictricks.com/stage/animatedshoelaces.htm

Obviously, I am not able to make any changes on my site until I fix this. And I'm afraid to experiment, as I will erase pages in my online store. Not good!

I am able to connect to the remote server. I am able to switch to Remote View and see all my files there on the server.

The /animatedshoelaces.htm file is listed there in the Remote View.

Please help. I really appreciate it!

domedia
10-23-2008, 09:26 PM
I might be missing something here, but did you try to upload the file one more time?

magictricks
10-23-2008, 09:54 PM
Yes, I tried twice more to upload the file. Both times I got the File Incomplete error message, and the page still shows up as blank in the browser.

domedia
10-23-2008, 10:01 PM
The root of the problem is the error message. Any other information? Does it tell you why it was incomplete?
For now you can upload it with another ftp client.

magictricks
10-23-2008, 10:09 PM
No, there is no other error message. It just starts putting the file, goes through all the bytes, then at the end, up pops that error message, and the file was never "put". Apparently, the aborted attempt caused the old file to be erased in anticipation of the revised file replacing it, which it never did.

So are you saying to just upload the file via CuteFTP or another such program? And that will be okay?

I am a former FrontPage user, and with that, you could not use another FTP program because of the FP settings. I won't have a problem using any other FTP program to upload?

edbr
10-24-2008, 03:05 AM
no i always use an ftp program. filezilla is another free one

vazzoha
05-09-2009, 12:31 AM
hi
I am experiencing the same problem but on my local host and I see you solved the problem could you please let me know how youve done?
thanks

DWcourse
05-09-2009, 03:46 AM
I've run into a similar problem when my space allotment on the server has run out. Usually deleting unused files or upgrading the server account takes care of it.

crazytalk
02-06-2011, 05:00 AM
I've been using dreamweaver cs4 for over year now. Today, I just had the same problem like magictricks after uploading some changes to site. Dreamweaver said background activity files incomplete. The brower shows a blank page for my site. Please help me. Thank you so much.

magictricks
02-06-2011, 03:24 PM
I was the original poster back in 2008, and there is a simple answer to this question.

If you are getting the "incomplete" error message, it means that you tried to upload a file to your server, and there was not enough room in your account on that server to accomodate the file.

In my case, at the time I was using a hosting company with a plan that had an upper limit of 15,000 files for any account. When I tried to upload some additional new product pages, I went over the file limit. The server would not accept the new files, bounced them back to the Dreamweaver application on my local PC that was trying to upload them, and I got the error message.

You do not have enough space on the server you are trying to upload to. Check your account limits with your hosting company. Then either purchase a bigger plan, or delete old files on the server that you no longer need.

Hope that helps you!