PDA

View Full Version : how does dreamweaver affect image size?

ethan2
10-22-2008, 07:56 AM
hey

i'm not sure that i'll be allowed to be on this site too long due to the handicap i have - i am severely technically challenged.
regardless of this handicap, i am attempting to design a website.

query:

if an 8"x10" from photoshop image is tranferred to dreamweaver, what will the dimensions of this photo be when viewed on the internet with:

a) a 28" wide screen monitor
b) a 14" monitor.

does dreamweaver automatically change the dimensions of the photoshop image to compensate for different size monitors but maintain the original image ratio?

cheers

ethan

Rob_Che
10-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Firstly... Hi...

query:
if an 8"x10" from photoshop image is tranferred to dreamweaver, what will the dimensions of this photo be when viewed on the internet with:
a) a 28" wide screen monitor
b) a 14" monitor.

INCHES !? :grin:
It's the pixels you should be looking. Regardless of (physical) size it's the pixel width that you need to look at. A 8"x10" (for example) can be 72 dpi (dots per inch) or it could be 300dpi. These would print out at the same size (but varying quality) but would be massively different in terms of their pixel size.

eg;
an image 10" at 72 dpi 720 pixels
an image 10" at 300 dpi 3000 pixels
To put this in context, an average monitor is say, 1024 pixels wide.

14" monitor makes no odds again - you need to look at what resolution the screen is running at. ie; 1024px x 768px

does dreamweaver automatically change the dimensions of the photoshop image to compensate for different size monitors but maintain the original image ratio?

No. You need to specify the dimensions of the image in Photoshop. Go to Image > Image Size to see how big it is. To get the file into DW you need (ideally) to save it specifically for web use. Go to File > Save for Web. You can specify the pixel-value dimensions at this point.

Does that make any sense ? :-D
Rob

ethan2
10-23-2008, 08:55 AM
hey Rob

thanks for responding

i realise that low resolution produces a weaker image. thats not my concern at the moment.

when you start an image in photoshop, the program immediately prompts you to establish the dimensions of your design and the resolution.

however, when you start an image in dreamweaver, there is no prompt or designation for the resolution of the design window.
when the window appears to start the design process, it does not prompt you to designate whether you want the image optimized for a 28 inch monitor with a 1920x1200 resolution or for a 14 inch monitor with a 640x480 resolution.

i assume the resolution of the design window that comes up when you start dreamweaver is set at a default.
if this is so, can you change the resolution of this default?

gawd, Rob, i feel like such a 'duh'

edbr
10-23-2008, 09:12 AM
page width should be to suit the majority of viewers to your site. many design to 950 pixels width, i dont think most will use 1920x1200 resolution though.

ethan2
10-23-2008, 09:17 AM
absolutlely, edbr,

but what is the resolution of the default window that comes up on dreamweaver and can you change it?

edbr
10-23-2008, 09:28 AM
you should make a division to hold your page and set its width, either a set px size or to a percentage thus making it fluid for browsers. Images will not scale though. there is no default size as such

domedia
10-23-2008, 03:19 PM
absolutlely, edbr,

but what is the resolution of the default window that comes up on dreamweaver and can you change it?
There is no default. You start with an empty document.