PDA

View Full Version : How to??? Static navigation bar

badutahboy
10-22-2008, 02:33 AM
Ok, so here's my dilemma... I'm building a website for my real estate brokerage, and I have a flash file which encompasses my nav bar as well as a "featured properties" slideshow....

The way my site is set up currently, the flash reloads every time you load the page.. This is bad for many reasons:

It's got a "cute" little musical intro that gets really annoying about the 4th time you hear it.
The "featured properties" will be linked to the appropriate listing in my database, and I'd like my users not to have to scroll through the whole slide show in order to see properties they haven't yet seen.
Bandwidth/load times

Ideally, I'd like a solution wherein my flash doesn't reload when I click a link on my site, but the info below does... I've tried building it in with a frame, but the top frame doesn't scroll with the rest of the page, so when viewing the page on a laptop, the content part of my site is only about 2 inches tall.

Anyone got any advice on the easiest/best way to rectify this problem?

Thanks in advance.

domedia
10-22-2008, 03:32 AM
Skip the flash navigation and music. Your users didn't ask for it, and you don't want to come across as cheesy :)

badutahboy
10-22-2008, 03:41 AM
Skip the flash navigation and music. Your users didn't ask for it, and you don't want to come across as cheesy :)

The only reason I'm using flash is because of the featured listings slideshow... and it's not going away... Got any Dreamweaver advice for me?

edbr
10-22-2008, 04:21 AM
surely this is a flash problem not dreamweaver

badutahboy
10-22-2008, 04:32 AM
surely this is a flash problem not dreamweaver

Well, it's a dreamweaver problem, because whoever created the template I'm basing my site off simply put the same flash item on each page, then made the 6 basic pages of the site, so each time you click on a link, it just reloads the entire page, including the flash show.

I thought I could solve the problem by putting the show in a top frame, but the frame isn't scrollable. I might have missed a basic setting to enable that though...

I'm just looking for info on how make the flash show static, and then create an embedded window below, so that when I click links, they open in the lower part of the screen without re-loading the top part..

edbr
10-22-2008, 04:38 AM
if you use frames then you might create yourself some problems with search engines at least.
is using a template for the deeper pages but not for the index and just use the flash there nan option perhaps?
I am sure repeated tunes would be annoying, personally i just leave if i hear them once.

domedia
10-22-2008, 04:49 AM
2 ways:
-make it a flash site
-use frames.
Both solutions have accessibility and search engine issues.

Putting sound on a site is considered a no-no for most sites ( but not all )

You might have been a little unlucky in the choice of template.
The advice is pretty general though.. is it possible for you to put something on a temporary location online so we could better help?

badutahboy
10-22-2008, 04:52 AM
2 ways:
-make it a flash site
-use frames.
Both solutions have accessibility and search engine issues.

Putting sound on a site is considered a no-no for most sites ( but not all )

You might have been a little unlucky in the choice of template.
The advice is pretty general though.. is it possible for you to put something on a temporary location online so we could better help?

I'll see if I can get the template hosted tomorrow.. I'm trying to avoid adding content until I get the functionality the way I want, but you'll be more able to see what I want to do.... I'll update when I get it hosted..

badutahboy
10-22-2008, 05:10 AM
nm, got it posted tonight.. Here's a link.. it's hosted on a temp free server...

http://badutahboy.07x.net/

I think I'm going to rip the music out of the flash, but I would still prefer to only have it load once...

I might be overcomplicating things.. basically, I just want to embed all of the content below the flash player, and make the buttons redirect to the content embedded below, so the flash player doesn't have to reload every time you want to view a different page...

It seems easy enough to me, but I'm a total noob at web development. I'm pretty tech savvy, but other than some basic HTML/XML coding, this is new territory.

badutahboy
10-23-2008, 03:34 AM
bump.. any help?

domedia
10-23-2008, 04:09 PM
Issues:
1. Flash nav. the site is now inaccessible for people without flash and for search engines
2. The top flash loads on every page. You could use frames, which would make it even less accessible.

This really is the templates fault. It poorly made, with lots of bling, but it's just not going to work for the web..
The only 2 ways you can achieve what you're looking for is either making the whole site flash, which I think is not an option, or using frames which by all user standards makes the site a failure. :-( I know you probably did not want to hear this, but there's really no way to sugarcoat it..

badutahboy
10-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Issues:
1. Flash nav. the site is now inaccessible for people without flash and for search engines
2. The top flash loads on every page. You could use frames, which would make it even less accessible.

This really is the templates fault. It poorly made, with lots of bling, but it's just not going to work for the web..
The only 2 ways you can achieve what you're looking for is either making the whole site flash, which I think is not an option, or using frames which by all user standards makes the site a failure. :-( I know you probably did not want to hear this, but there's really no way to sugarcoat it..

Can you suggest alternatives? I can re-do the flash presentation and take the nav bar out.. that's not a problem, but I don't want to lose the scrolling property show.. Is there a good way to accomplish something similar without flash? or would taking the nav bar out of the flash presentation solve my problems?

domedia
10-23-2008, 04:35 PM
Is there a good way to accomplish something similar without flash?
I guess you could do it with Javascript, maybe one of the javascript frameworks like prototype, jQuery etc has plugins for some similar effect. You'd still have to get the feed in there somehow.

would taking the nav bar out of the flash presentation solve my problems? Actually, yes... smart thinking.

Corrosive
10-23-2008, 05:12 PM
I guess you could do it with Javascript, maybe one of the javascript frameworks like prototype, jQuery etc has plugins for some similar effect. You'd still have to get the feed in there somehow.

I'm learning jQuery at the moment. In some cases with the plug-ins you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between that and flash. Check it out.

badutahboy
10-23-2008, 05:31 PM

Actually, yes... smart thinking.

Thanks. I'll work on seperating the nav bar from the rest of the flash.

As for flash vs Javascript for the other part.. a couple questions.. I don't know flash or javascript, so I'm learning as I go... In terms of adaptibility (easily editing the content of the slides, and ability to add/subtract slides as needed), which is going to be the better option?

Corrosive
10-24-2008, 05:00 PM
Thanks. I'll work on seperating the nav bar from the rest of the flash.

As for flash vs Javascript for the other part.. a couple questions.. I don't know flash or javascript, so I'm learning as I go... In terms of adaptibility (easily editing the content of the slides, and ability to add/subtract slides as needed), which is going to be the better option?

Try it with javascript it's easier to edit IMHO.

Ricky55
10-24-2008, 08:56 PM
You need flash to be able to talk to HTML, this can be done, for instance you can tell Flash that when on Contact Page play whatever slide and stop the music.

This can be done but you'd be better asking on a dedicated Flash forum,
try:
http://www.kirupa.com/forum/