PDA

View Full Version : Flash Slideshow

Diesel Junior
10-18-2008, 01:43 PM
Hi folks, ok i have inserted my Flash Image viewer, it works fine in DW likewise when i preview in IE7/Mozilla/Opera but now that its is on line (www.udaltea.es - go easy on me it is a first effort!) it does not so much as appear? Any clues?:x :(

Rob_Che
10-18-2008, 01:54 PM
Hey Diesel...

It's not on the page? or not that I can see looking at your code.
How have you 'inserted' it ?
Is it meant to be where the team photo is? That's just a jpeg (and a massive one at that!)

Are you sure you inserted it ?

Ricky55
10-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Diesel get those photos optimised for the web for christ sakes they're HUGE!!

One image is 3.2mb!!!

Its also 3000px wide, you only need them to be about 450px wide, I've just re-saved one for the web for photoshop and its now 24kb

You need to do this before you even think about your Flash content.

Also if if you've been inserting these images into your flash file that too will be huge and will take an age to load, get your images fixed first and then come back to us about the flash.

If you need help optimising your images for the web (which you clearly do) ask! we will help you

You can't just take images straight from a digital camera and bang them on the web!

Rob_Che
10-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Ricky is right... The way you are 'resizing' images is wrong...
Do you have a photo-editing program - Photoshop?

Don't be tempted to resize the images in Dreamweaver.

Diesel Junior
10-18-2008, 06:20 PM
Thats why its taking so long to download!! Sorry its basics i know but resizing advice is needed....what i was doing to the photos was banging them onto the page then downsizing them with Dreamweaver which maybe is not the way to go!!!!!!!!!! OK, so i take them through Photoshop (which i have) and edit them right? OK so i go for 450px wide, what kind of height? Oh, and sorry about this, but i take it the photos wont therefore be tiny??? Is it a case of same size but fewer pixels? Will try and do this first then we will get to the business of 'inserting' my flash files. As said, any advice welcome, its nice to come across a forum where a 'broad church' is evidently welcome! PS Even i can see that DW is a light year ahead of MS F***T P**E!!!!!

Rob_Che
10-18-2008, 08:34 PM
Ok - so you have Photoshop - perfect.
There are loads of ways but what you're looking to do is create the image the size that you want it to be once you get it into dreamweaver.

Goto:
Image > Image Size - Just dial in the size.

You've already dialled in the size in DW - do this in PS instead: width="580" height="407"

Then Goto: File > Save for Web - Choose Jpeg and say, 70% quality.

YOu're image with be a tenth of the size - hopefully less.
You don't need to tell DW what size the image is then - and it will be better quality.

RC

Anyway... what was this about flash ?

Ricky55
10-19-2008, 12:51 AM
In fact you only need to change the width the height will look after its self if you have fixed constraints which you should have if you are not cropping if you change the width and height independatly you could end up stretching your image.

All images for the web should 72 Dpi RGB and saved for web.

Diesel Junior
10-19-2008, 07:48 AM
Many thanks, all photos now a decent size! OK, the flash slide show is meant to be between the title and the text on the ORIHUELA & PINOSO pages. Go to SEASON/TEMPORADA then go on the abbreviated match reports and click on where it says either CASTELLANO/ENGLISH.... you have the score (we're doing ok at the minute!) then the text and flash should be there but mayeb i havent inserted it correctly....meantime i will alter the pics in the slide show as they are probably 3mB each too, doh! Thanks again for your help, regards the Diesel Junior

Ricky55
10-21-2008, 04:26 AM
Yes it sounds like an embed issue. Just try inserting your swf again.