PDA

View Full Version : General Question About the Forum for the Webmaster

Starforth
10-17-2008, 08:22 PM
Hi - I noticed that this forum allows users to progress in "rank" - I assume as they post more posts. I am interested in adding a forum to my site that also allows users to progress in rank. Can you please provide me with information about how you accomplished this? Thank you!

domedia
10-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Hi - I noticed that this forum allows users to progress in "rank" - I assume as they post more posts. I am interested in adding a forum to my site that also allows users to progress in rank. Can you please provide me with information about how you accomplished this? Thank you!
This forum uses a a commercial software package called vBulletin.
The rank feature, which you correctly identified as simply being a post count, is part of the forum software. So basically we didn't have to do anything, it was already there :)
http://www.vbulletin.com/

Starforth
10-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Addendum to my question: It appears the only way to rank up is to increaste one's number of posts. Does anyone know of a way to allow people to automatically rank up by completing other tasks, such as signing up for a newsletter or something along those lines?

Corrosive
10-18-2008, 07:04 AM
Addendum to my question: It appears the only way to rank up is to increaste one's number of posts. Does anyone know of a way to allow people to automatically rank up by completing other tasks, such as signing up for a newsletter or something along those lines?

There are a number of different forum packages that you can get 'off the shelf'. 'vBulletin' like this one. You can also look at 'phpbb' and 'simple machine'. My knowledge is limited, but as far as I know most forums just increase your rank or status by posting in the forum.

Worth doing some further research on these three kinds of forum though.

Rob_Che
10-18-2008, 12:18 PM
Anyone used Vanilla ?
Looks nice... CSS n that.

http://getvanilla.com/

2bz2p
10-18-2008, 01:10 PM
I personally use Simple Machines Forums (SMF) and they have a bunch of Modifications that people have written so it is possible to find a mod like that.

2b