PDA

View Full Version : Images and Buttons

mikeandnel
10-17-2008, 05:11 PM
Can anyone advise me on how to sort out the following queries:

I am creating a website for a friend and all of my images have disappeared and been replaced by grey boxes with a logo in the middle. How do I get the images back on each page?

I am using Flash graphic buttons, and when previewed in the browser, they work once moving between pages and then respond as 'page not found'. I have replaced the buttons and done the links several times without luck.

What am I doing wrong please?

I am 75 years old and cannot find the answers in any of the Dreamweaver books that I have.

Computer is running Windows XP Pro, processor is Dual core 5000, HD is 500 gb and programme is Dreamweaver MX 2004.

edbr
10-18-2008, 02:25 AM
is this site already on the web? if so, post the linkto it and we can see better what the problem is

mikeandnel
10-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Hello EDBR
No the site is not yet on the web. I am still trying to construct it. Pages one and two seem to work and so do the page 1 & 2 buttons but pages 3-5 will not see each other or pages 1 & 2 regardless of what I do or replace.
Regards

mikeandnel
10-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Since my last post, I find that the Flash buttons on my first two pages have all reduced in size to 105 wide x 23 high.
They were all 164 w x 38 high which is the size I want them to be.
However, using Property Inspector and changing the size in the W and H boxes changes the size to what I want when I click on ;Reset Size', but as soon as I take my finger off the mouse, the button reverts to size 105 x 23.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Rob_Che
10-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Hi Mikeandnel - Welcome :d

Ideally you'll need to add the site to the web. We can help you much better then. However... Some of the problems you mention may well 'go away' once uploaded as it sounds like you're navigating around a local site that's not configured properly.

Have you set the site up? Giving the file and image folder locations may help the problems you're having... If you can upload it - do it and we will help wherever we can :)

Rob

I am 75 years old and cannot find the answers in any of the Dreamweaver books that I have.

75 years young surely !?

PS; I've moved the post to Dreamweaver General...

mikeandnel
10-20-2008, 01:29 PM
For Rob_Che
Thanks for the advice and for moving the query. Noted. I will try to upload later today but need one more piece of advice please.
How to insert Metatags.
Again the books are not clear on this point so any guidance would be appreciated.
Will let you know when it is uploaded and would appreicate your checking the site.
Thanks for the age compliment. Sometimes I feel old and other rimes I feel young.
This is one of the older times as my brain is missing knowing how to do the things in DW that I am asking about.
Regards
Micheal

Corrosive
10-20-2008, 05:26 PM
For Rob_Che
Thanks for the advice and for moving the query. Noted. I will try to upload later today but need one more piece of advice please.
How to insert Metatags.

Top bar menu...

Insert>HTML>Head Tags>Meta, Keywords etc.

Hope this helps.

mikeandnel
10-20-2008, 07:08 PM
For Corrosive. Absolutely brilliant. Many thanks. Why don't the DW books say it as simple as that. You made it so easy
Very grateful
Many thanks again
Micheal

Corrosive
10-20-2008, 07:34 PM
For Corrosive. Absolutely brilliant. Many thanks. Why don't the DW books say it as simple as that. You made it so easy
Very grateful
Many thanks again
Micheal

No problem. There's no substitute for asking a real person. You'll be glad you found this forum...I know I was. Also, don't think I've said welcome yet so...'Welcome to DWC Mike'. :)

edbr
10-21-2008, 03:46 AM
yes welcome to the forum Micheal. yet another Britt i see

mikeandnel
10-21-2008, 03:39 PM
For Corrosive/EDBR/Rob_Che
Thanks Guys for all your help and for the nice welcome to the Forum.
The website is up and running at www.west-faldie.com (http://www.west-faldie.com), so at least with your help I have taken the first step. Looking at the site on-line, I notice that a couple of the web page URLs seem to have acquired a '%20' mark in the URL.
Why is that and how can I remove it?
Best regards to you all and thanks again for the invaluable help.
Micheal

mikeandnel
10-21-2008, 04:06 PM
For EDBR/Corrosive/Rob_Che

Thanks Guys for all your help and for the nice welcome from the Forum.
The website is up and running at www.west-faldie.com (http://www.west-faldie.com/), so at least with your help I have taken the first step. Looking at the site on-line, I notice that a couple of the web page URLs seem to have acquired a '%20' mark in the URL, The site does not appear when West-Faldie is put into Google, and the pages in my list of websites visited does not give the site name, just says 'untitled document'.
Why is that and how can I sort it out/remove it?
Micheal

Corrosive
10-21-2008, 05:03 PM
For EDBR/Corrosive/Rob_Che

Thanks Guys for all your help and for the nice welcome from the Forum.
The website is up and running at www.west-faldie.com (http://www.west-faldie.com/), so at least with your help I have taken the first step. Looking at the site on-line, I notice that a couple of the web page URLs seem to have acquired a '%20' mark in the URL, The site does not appear when West-Faldie is put into Google, and the pages in my list of websites visited does not give the site name, just says 'untitled document'.
Why is that and how can I sort it out/remove it?
Micheal

OK, couple of questions there. Don't use spaces in your file names, image names...well, anywhere really. Use _ if you have to split two words.

Google takes a while to pick up websites. It won't happen over night. Do yourself (and Google) a favour by opening a Google account and registering your site with them. You will need to varify it but there are instructions on the 'webmaster tools' option in your new account.

You need to give your pages a title. Not only does it show up in the address bar but it also helps with search engines like Google. There is a blank space near the top of where you build your page in DW which will have 'untitled document' written in it. Change this to the correct page title you want to show up and then re-load your site to your server.

Nice site by the way :-D

d a v e
10-21-2008, 07:42 PM
also michael you have resized your images in your code so that they look too blurry! you can't make images bigger without losing quality.
if you need them to be that big then get hold of larger original images/photos.
i've taken the liberty of sizing two of the logos for you here
http://pp.kpnet.fi/prescott/stuff/westfaldie/

remember that photos and images that contain thousands of colours/complicated gradients or drop shadows should be saved as jpegs, but logos and images with a limited colour palette (i.e. one tha can be represented reasonably with 256 colours or less) should be saved as gifs (or 8-bit pngs)

the site logo in particular looks pretty bad bbnLogo.gif so i would try and get hold of a better copy than that if you can! :)

mikeandnel
10-21-2008, 09:53 PM
For Dave
Thanks for the tip about logos being gif files and not bmp. And for checking the two logos and resizing them. I will try to find a better version of the bbn logo, but that is the one provided by my friend. I should be able to find a better one somewhere.
All the photos are reduced using Photoshop and were much bigger when supplied to me.

For Corrosive

Thanks for the tip about using underline instead of gaps. Will try to correct that later.
I followed your advice about giving each page a name and that seems to have helped in the URL line above the web page in the browser,
I will wait on Google but will have to explore the Google account system that you mention as I have not known about it previously.
Thanks both of you and regards
Micheal

Corrosive
10-21-2008, 09:58 PM
I will wait on Google but will have to explore the Google account system that you mention as I have not known about it previously.

It's free so you might as well :wink:

mikeandnel
10-21-2008, 10:05 PM
For Corrosive
I now have a Google account, but cannot locate 'webmaster tools in the menus.
Can you guide me to it please?
Regards
Micheal

Corrosive
10-21-2008, 11:19 PM
For Corrosive
I now have a Google account, but cannot locate 'webmaster tools in the menus.
Can you guide me to it please?
Regards
Micheal

Go into your account > 'my products' and it should be there. If it's not then go to 'edit' next to 'my products' and add it.