PDA

View Full Version : One template, mulitle left navs

Porke
10-16-2008, 07:53 PM
Hello!

I've been using Dreamweaver for some time, but my company is asking me to develop Templates in DW that is over my head.

First of all the site is huge, and is now moving to one common look and feel for over 100 office sub-sites (~100 web pages each). The main global template needs to be applied to each of these sub-sites, but the left navigation still needs to be editable.

Which would you recommend:
A) nested templates (global templates defined with 100 separate smaller templates with the left nav included. Update smaller left-nav templates for each office)

B) library items (global template has an editable area for library items, each office would point to a separate library for their left nav. How would you define the library item for a specific directory to be used for the entire directory?)

C) nested if statements (If office=A, use this library item. If office=B, use this library item. Once again, how can you define a directory to have the same office value)

D) something more clever that you know!

Thanks everyone!

~Porke~

edbr
10-17-2008, 01:38 AM
can you use PHP? How about an editable region with an include to ex folder/menu.txt, and in each site directory have a different menu.
i use this method for different languages different languages

Porke
10-17-2008, 01:45 PM
We can use php. I'm not too familiar, but my boss is.

In your method, won't Dreamweaver keep the relative directory structure when writing the files in each sub-folder?

Thanks!
~Porke~

edbr
10-18-2008, 02:04 AM
not sure what you mean. if you mean will dreamweaver change the links in an editable region when updatin,g im not sure but dont thinks so, frankly i dont use them.
Corrosive are you out there for this?

Corrosive
10-18-2008, 08:26 AM
not sure what you mean. if you mean will dreamweaver change the links in an editable region when updatin,g im not sure but dont thinks so, frankly i dont use them.
Corrosive are you out there for this?

He, he. Like being contacted by seance.

I think you need to be going down the PHP route for this. Templates have their uses but also their limitations. This is a big job so I think server side PHP 'includes' is the way to go.

DavidJ...are you out there for this? :wink:

edbr
10-18-2008, 08:52 AM
the code for includes is <?php include('menu.txt'); ?>
depending on your menu contents page of course. if each site has its own and templates done alter this path when they updae you can make individual menus but i dont think they will in an editable region will they?

Corrosive
10-18-2008, 09:19 AM
the code for includes is <?php include('menu.txt'); ?>
depending on your menu contents page of course. if each site has its own and templates done alter this path when they updae you can make individual menus but i dont think they will in an editable region will they?

No, you are right Ed. The content of an editable region will be exclusive to that page. If you want the menus to update site-wide then they need to be in a non-editable region.

Porke
10-20-2008, 03:41 PM
Thanks for your help everyone!

Wouldn't the php solution act the same way as a SSI?
<!-- include virtual="menu.txt"-->

Porke
10-22-2008, 01:43 PM
Well, I think what we're going to do is have one template for each directory. We will be sharing the same stylesheet and global image directory, but each left nav option will have a separate template.

So if we ever change the layout of our new site, we will have to update it more times, but I don't think this will happen too often.

Is this a good idea?

Thanks for your feedback and opinions!

~Porke~