PDA

View Full Version : New web development

rtjavaid
10-16-2008, 12:35 PM
I am new to web development, I have been planning to start building the web application but couldn't really start. I have used VB for a small project at work. I am confused whether to build it in ASP.net , Dreamweaver or PHP. what are the major differences between three? which one would be easier compare to other two for somebody new.

Website will be on lines of...

it will have 4 or 5 different business sections and each section will carry advertisements from the local business.

Website style is very important to me

Thanks in advance

davidj
10-16-2008, 01:44 PM
OK

asp.net and PHP are server side languages

dreamweaver is an application used to build web sites. It has some drag-n-drop functionality built in which support some of these scripting languages so by clicking buttons, selecting options and pressing OK will write code to a page for you. This method is OK for some and not for others (like me!) as you dont learn the language. You just learn how to press buttons in order!

You say you have coded in VB before so you understand logic and syntax structure so don't use dreamweaver to write the code for you. Its a backward step. ( correction.. its like running backwards untill you become very small in the distance )

You can use dreamweaver to write PHP and ASP.net code yourself by typing it in.

The language differences are...

other than the syntax they all do a great job at what they do. There are pro's and con's with all of them but they are very robust and scalable.

.NET is favoured by big business normally because they have the infrastructure and expertise in place to support it. If you choose to host your app yourself you may find that a .NET environment may cost a bit more due to the licensing constraints which cost the host more and inevitably they pass that cost on to you. This was a big factor a few years ago but its becoming negligible now.

PHP is open source and is just as powerful but without the cost.

.NET has a bigger corporate slice of the pie where PHP has one of the fastest growing user base's regarding open source server side languages.

there is a lot to learn no matter what you choose so you need to be committed and allocate plenty of time.

I'm a PHP developer and love it but i cant really say choose this or choose that. Its just what i fell into.

the choice is yours

NOTE: i teach PHP one to one! << this is not a tender :-D

NOTE2: I hate smilies!

rico1931
10-23-2008, 04:50 PM
haha davidj you make me laugh... and i regret it now that i'm still doing my internship in asp instead of PHP... ugh soo frustrating and webassist now is no longer supporting asp and are only doing PHP!!! .. bummer....

davidj
10-23-2008, 05:16 PM
haha davidj you make me laugh...

not everyone will agree!

and i regret it now that i'm still doing my internship in asp instead of PHP... ugh soo frustrating and webassist now is no longer supporting asp and are only doing PHP!!! .. bummer....

cant you study PHP in your own time

having both will open twice as many doors

digitaldesperad
11-05-2008, 04:17 PM
i would suggest you to build it in Dreamweaver

rico1931
11-05-2008, 04:24 PM
ya i'm actually taking a class this semester in PHP and SQL... its fun and really easy to do! The fundamental aspect of php that i'm seeing is that you MUST have a sound and structured table in sql or else you are F****ED and things wont work right.

domedia
11-05-2008, 05:06 PM
And make sure you check out *all* the features of DW so you know your choices. Adobe is starting to integrate some great technologies with Dreamweaver.
http://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver/features/?view=topnew&promoid=DRHWV