PDA

View Full Version : Cloak & Dagger?

Diesel Junior
10-14-2008, 03:59 PM
Hi there, greetings from sunny Spain and congratulations on an excellent website, useful for both professionals and rank amateurs (like me!). OK, i have a tricky problem in that someone keeps downloading my reports on my local football team from my website and then putting it on an unofficial website. Damned annoying, and probably illegal too.....word reaches me that there is a way to stop this by locking down my pages....is this the same as [I]cloaking[I]?? Any help gratefully received!

domedia
10-14-2008, 04:31 PM
Hi Diesel,
When you say reports, do you mean your written words?

If your website is on the web, it's per definition available for anyone.

First course of action should be to contact the website and explain that they are copying your work.
If that does not work, contact their hosting company and explain it to them.

The 'locking down' and 'cloaking' is something I think someone just made up for you..

Diesel Junior
10-14-2008, 08:26 PM
thanks for that, the problem is that the person copying it is someone i know ( i wont say 'friend'!!), so i guess i will try the hosting company! the 'cloaking' does exist though as its in my Dreamweaver book! Thanks for the advice tho!

Cary
10-14-2008, 11:05 PM
Oh, that cloaking is something completely different. It won't help you with this sort of thing.

davidj
10-14-2008, 11:29 PM
that just hides file types which you dont want to see in the files panel like flash...

i think thats how it works

davidj
10-14-2008, 11:31 PM
additional

there is no way to protect data like this

anyone could just copy and paste the data from the browser

im afraid the only option is to punch your friend in the face.

edbr
10-15-2008, 02:23 AM
you could whinge to google not sure of the effect , personally i think Davids idea sound like more fun

Diesel Junior
10-15-2008, 10:23 AM
Thanks chaps, violence it has to be, fire up the quattro etc Regards Gene Hunt

domedia
10-15-2008, 02:08 PM
im afraid the only option is to punch your friend in the face. You've obviously never dealt with copyright infringement on the web.
Seriously, this is really crappy advice when there's established protocols for this.

domedia
10-15-2008, 02:18 PM
http://lorelle.wordpress.com/2006/04/10/what-do-you-do-when-someone-steals-your-content/
Also google the Millennium Digital Act or copyright in general.

Once you notify the thief's host about the infringement, they have no choice than to remove the content immediately.

Diesel Junior
10-15-2008, 03:16 PM
Thanks for that as it may well be a path worth heading down. I guess such is the nature of my 'mate' that he will then transfer over to another host and there we go again......as for the 'crappy advice', well since it came from a fellow Geordie it made me laugh, forget about crunching credit etc. I have a mate who swears by HTML Protector by a company called antsoft. Experienced hackers may well be able to get around it but my 'mate' (the thief) is of the 'drag and drop' school and knows no more! I will win just as Skywalker did over Darth Vadar, resistance is futile, indeed....:roll:

domedia
10-15-2008, 04:13 PM
as for the 'crappy advice', well since it came from a fellow Geordie it made me laugh, forget about crunching credit etc. I assumed you were in the U.S. my bad. There copyright protection I think is equally strong in most western countries.

davidj
10-15-2008, 05:40 PM
this is really crappy advice when there's established protocols for this.

the advice was in a humorous context!

lighten up!

domedia
10-15-2008, 06:14 PM
the advice was in a humorous context!

lighten up! Failed to see the humour, sorry 8)