PDA

View Full Version : Protecting your CSS

Ricky55
10-14-2008, 01:43 PM
Hi

I've just completed a site for a company and they appear to be in financial trouble and I'm worried that I might not get paid.

I was wondering if I could some how password protect the main css file to prevent them just downloading the whole site and having it all for free.

Is this possible?

How would it work for instance if I uploaded the main.css file to my web server and link all the pages to that, so without the CSS the design would all just break.

Would this create a delay in loading, can CSS work in this manner I guess it could, I hate to even think about these kind of tactics but when you've worked on a site for over a month you need to protect yourself.

Thanks

Ricky55

Ricky55
10-14-2008, 01:46 PM
Just been thinking though they could just download it from my website any way so that wouldn't work

Corrosive
10-14-2008, 04:16 PM
Just been thinking though they could just download it from my website any way so that wouldn't work

But would they know what to do with it Rick? You can link a stylesheet via URL so your approach may work. What kind of contract/agreement you got in place mate?

Chapo
10-16-2008, 12:53 AM
What if you told the company.. "Pay me with money or pay with your life".. sometimes works and even pay you more

Corrosive
10-16-2008, 07:39 PM
What if you told the company.. "Pay me with money or pay with your life".. sometimes works and even pay you more

I think you may get arrested for that in the UK Chapo :wink:

Chapo
10-18-2008, 04:33 AM
MMM... your right... Hey Corro... how well pay is the industry of web design in the UK....? Are people willing to pay, is there a demand for creating web pages ?

edbr
10-18-2008, 05:15 AM
i can give you an idea here, an ad in a local paper
web site design,5 pages
+ domain name (1 yr registration)+ 1 yr hosting 50$ US.

Corrosive
10-18-2008, 06:54 AM
MMM... your right... Hey Corro... how well pay is the industry of web design in the UK....? Are people willing to pay, is there a demand for creating web pages ?

Hey Chapo

Demand for websites is pretty good round here (South West UK). We have managed to pick up a decent amount of business...but not enough to give up my day job yet!

Ricky55
10-18-2008, 02:54 PM
That because you haven't made it your day job Corrosive, I used to say that, once you make it your day job everything changed for me, I think I wasn't getting work in some instances because prospective clients knew I was a part timer.

Chapo
10-18-2008, 02:55 PM
Well... here in Puerto Rico i have to go outside and look for my own clients... many small bussines and artists still don't have web sites... Maybe we could make something happened.... i have a couple of ideas to make money..!!! Believe or not... even Global Warming is afecting us web designers...!!!!

Chapo
10-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Its true Ricky.... i changed to do web design my full day job and now i'm getting results... i even have many clients that i had to make a waiting list... thats why i know you guys could help me out and also benefit..!!!

Ricky55
10-19-2008, 12:54 AM
I think if your work is good people will hire you.

I've seen your some of your work chapo and its good, I like how you try to do something different.

Corrosive
10-19-2008, 06:21 AM
That because you haven't made it your day job Corrosive, I used to say that, once you make it your day job everything changed for me, I think I wasn't getting work in some instances because prospective clients knew I was a part timer.

I know what you are saying Rich. I've given myself a target of 18 months from now and I have my reasons for now (mainly mortgage based) to remain with an income I can prove with a pay slip! I am determined to make the switch though.