PDA

View Full Version : Browser help

Sue
10-11-2008, 12:39 AM
When I try to preview a web page in IE or Firefox I get a message saying unable to do so because I'm not online, or the site is down. Neither is the case. I've tried the temporary files route, and that doesn't work either.

Help!

Thanks -

Sue

edbr
10-11-2008, 02:10 AM
did you define your site?

Sue
10-11-2008, 02:17 AM
Not sure I know what define the site means - ?

edbr
10-11-2008, 02:24 AM
in dreamweaver go to manage sites>new site. im guessing that will do it

Sue
10-11-2008, 11:11 AM
In manage sites, the site is already listed.

Sue
10-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Still looking for help on this. Any other ideas from anyone?

domedia
10-12-2008, 07:00 PM
Previewing the page in DW does not use the Internet.

You're giving minimal info here. What does the error message say?

Sue
10-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:

<LI id=causeNotConnected>You are not connected to the Internet. <LI id=causeSiteProblem>The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address. What you can try:

res://ieframe.dll/bullet.png Diagnose Connection Problems (res://ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm#)

res://ieframe.dll/down.png (res://ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm#) More information (javascript:expandCollapse('infoBlockID', true);)

This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including: <LI id=errorExpl2>Internet connectivity has been lost. <LI id=errorExpl3>The website is temporarily unavailable. <LI id=errorExpl4>The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable. <LI id=errorExpl5>The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.
If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.

For offline users

You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
To view subscribed feeds
Click the Favorites Center button res://ieframe.dll/favcenter.png, click Feeds, and then click the feed you want to view.
To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages) <LI id=viewRecentWebpages2>Click Tools res://ieframe.dll/tools.png, and then click Work Offline.
Click the Favorites Center button res://ieframe.dll/favcenter.png, click History, and then click the page you want to view.And I've tried all the suggestions. I AM online, the site is NOT down -

Cary
10-12-2008, 08:37 PM
Are you telling DW to preview the page in IE, or are you just using IE directly to try and preview the page?

Is the page local or on the web?

If local, are you trying to view it directly or through http://localhost/ ?

If through localhost, are you sure you have your localhost server set up correctly and entered correctly in the site definition?

Sue
10-12-2008, 08:44 PM
Through localhost - and no, I'm not sure it's set up correctly. I think that's where I need help! (As you can tell - I'm VERY new at this...)

Cary
10-12-2008, 10:18 PM
Okay, are you using Apache or IIS?

And which server side scripting language, if any, are you using (PHP, Coldfusion, ASP.Net, etc.)?

Sue
10-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Oh - oh. I don't have a clue! I have DW MX 2004. I am trying to make some changes on a website that I maintain. For years I could edit a page, click on the little globe at the top of the DW page, and see the changes as they would appear when the page went live. I can no longer do that. To my knowledge, I haven't changed any settings, but...

davidj
10-13-2008, 09:08 PM
sue

Contact me through MSN messenger

cher
10-14-2008, 05:42 PM
I'm almost there!
I am attempting to create a link to another website. I'd like to keep the original window open and have the link open a new browser window.
When I set this up in the Behaviours Panel, I've indicated the new URL. A new window opens, but my original one also chages to the new URL.
Here is the code I have;
><a href="http://www.queenarts.biz" onClick="MM_openBrWindow('http://www.queenarts.biz','queenarts','')">www.queenarts.biz</a></div>
<map name"Map">

MUCH appreciate the help
cher

cher
10-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Something went wrong with my first post, the code I copied didn't show up properly..not sure why, but in my message panel on this (Dreamweaver club site) it was all jumbled up.
My attempt to type it in is also getting jumbled!??

domedia
10-14-2008, 06:00 PM
You need to cancel the regular link
<a href="http://www.queenarts.biz" onClick="MM_openBrWindow('http://www.queenarts.biz','queenarts',''); return(false);">www.queenarts.biz</a>

domedia
10-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Something went wrong with my first post, the code I copied didn't show up properly..not sure why, but in my message panel on this (Dreamweaver club site) it was all jumbled up.
My attempt to type it in is also getting jumbled!??
You need to use code tags on your posts

cher
10-15-2008, 01:17 PM
yessssss!!!!!!!
Thanks Domedida

cher
10-15-2008, 01:21 PM
Dreamweaver Club is fabulous!
THANKS to all who have been so helpful,
I'd like to share the fruits of your labours,

tadaaaaa, my new website
www.artofmine.com