PDA

View Full Version : Seeing XML files?

africano
10-10-2008, 11:03 PM
Hi guys, Ide like to be able to see certain websites xml file to study and see how they do certain things. Im investigating into panoramas and the instructions are passed through an xml file.

How can I see a websites xml file?

Cant seem to see these files?!!

domedia
10-11-2008, 07:34 PM
Couple of things:
1. The functionality of a panorama is not on the XML file, it probably only consist of the path to the image. Looking at the XML file will not help you investigate panoramas.
2. How is it that you cannot seem to view them now?

africano
10-11-2008, 10:11 PM
Actually The xml file contains all the code for the panorama, not just the path to the images. It also has the code to the hotspots(buttons) and their behaviors, etc. I want to see how people add maps, hotspots,etc.

All this info is in the xml file.

My question is how can I see the xml file? right click view source...etc?

davidj
10-11-2008, 10:39 PM
open in your browser

domedia
10-11-2008, 11:45 PM
Actually The xml file contains all the code for the panorama, not just the path to the images. It also has the code to the hotspots(buttons) and their behaviors, etc. I want to see how people add maps, hotspots,etc.

All this info is in the xml file.

My question is how can I see the xml file? right click view source...etc?
No, you're still a little confused :-)
The code is not in there, only the values used by whatever parses the file, guessing SWF in your case.

If it's hotspots, it probably contains the values which defines the hotspot, but it doesn't create the hotspot itself. It doesn't contain the images, but the path to them. There is no support in an XML file for any kind of programming. Have you seen a XML file? XML is similar to HTML in structure. An XML file is not displayed on a webpage, there is nothing to right click. If you have an XML file, just open it in your favorite HTML editor.

africano
10-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Im not 100% but I think Im not wrong. With flash panorama player you code the pano in an xml file. You create hotspots, motion tweens etc through the xml file. The images are not in the actual file..only the paths to the images(like for example the hotspot images).

Here is an example of some code of a pano Im working on at the moment:

<spot id="full" static="1" salign="BC" staticX="300" staticY="-50" url="images/fscreen.png" onClick="fullscreen(-)"/>

This places a hotspot for fullscreen option in the pano....this is what I mean!:wink:

davidj
10-12-2008, 05:03 PM
ok

open xml in your browser

domedia
10-12-2008, 06:15 PM
<spot id="full" static="1" salign="BC" staticX="300" staticY="-50" url="images/fscreen.png" onClick="fullscreen(-)"/>

This places a hotspot for fullscreen option in the pano....this is what I mean!:wink:
Africano, the above code does *not* place the hotspot in the panorama, why do you insist it does?
It only passes the values to the program that makes the hotspots.
This is the third time I've said this...
The creation of the panorama does not happen in th XML file. XML is not programming, it's a markup language. Someone has told you something about this which is completely wrong.

We can argue about this all day, but it is obvious you do not know what an XML file is.
Please read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xml

Again: If you want to learn how to make a panorama, you do not look in the XML file. Can anyone else apart from me that has built applications that get data from an XML feed please try to explain this as well? :)

Corrosive
10-12-2008, 06:24 PM
Africano, the above code does *not* place the hotspot in the panorama, why do you insist it does?
It only passes the values to the program that makes the hotspots.
This is the third time I've said this...
The creation of the panorama does not happen in th XML file. XML is not programming, it's a markup language. Someone has told you something about this which is completely wrong.

We can argue about this all day, but it is obvious you do not know what an XML file is.
Please read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xml

Again: If you want to learn how to make a panorama, you do not look in the XML file. Can anyone else apart from me that has built applications that get data from an XML feed please try to explain this as well? :)

We use XML via secure Citrix at work to pass customer details to other suppliers/areas of the business. Domedia is right Africano you are hunting for something that isn't what you need.

Rob_Che
10-12-2008, 09:59 PM
They're all wrong Africano - XMl is witchcraft.

When you do eventually open the magical file;
1: DO NOT get it wet !
2: DO NOT feed it after midnight.

You have been warned.

davidj
10-12-2008, 10:25 PM
They're all wrong Africano - XMl is witchcraft.

When you do eventually open the magical file;
1: DO NOT get it wet !
2: DO NOT feed it after midnight.

You have been warned.

not even slightly moist?

africano
10-13-2008, 09:24 AM
I can make the panorama thats not what Im after. I take the photos, stitch them using PTGUI, work with the pano image in photoshop, extract the CubeFaces,

The I use XML and Flashpanorama player to "make my pano". I think I porbably didnt explain myself properly... So you see what I mean:

This is the code in the html(nature.swf gets the images in a folder)(nature_l,nature_r,nature_f,nature_b,nature _d,nature_u:
<script type="text/javascript">
var so = new SWFObject("files/nature.swf", "pano", "50%", "50%", "9", "#FFFFFF");
so.addVariable("xml_file","navigation.xml");
so.addParam("allowFullScreen","true");
so.addParam("allowScriptAccess","sameDomain");
so.write("flashcontent");
window.document["pano"].focus();
</script>
There it makes reference to navigation.xml....which is the file where I declare the different aspects of the pano:

panoName = images/nature

layer_2 = files/hotspots.swf
layer_5 = files/autorotator.swf

</parameters>

<autorotator>
speed = 0.04
interval = 30
pause = 2000
quality = low
</autorotator>
<hotspots>
<global onStart="external.autorotator.disabled=1" onOver="scale=10,600,elastic;depth+=20" onOut="scale=1,300;depth-=20" >
<spot id="info" static="1" salign="BC" staticX="-100.5" staticY="-50.5" url="images/black_i.png"

onClick="infoscreen.visible+=1"

/>

To me, the xml file holds the most important data...its got the code for placing the hotspots and you can see the code for onClick onOver, etc events. I may be wrong but thatas how I see it. Sorry if I seem to go on and on....

domedia
10-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Well it seems you were finally able to open the XML file.
Good luck with creating the Panorama from XML ;-)

Did you want to create your own flash app?

africano
10-13-2008, 02:41 PM
Cheers, unfortuantely I m still unable to open the xml file. When I try and see someoneelses xml file, it gives me an error saying its unable to open the file.

How can, if its possible, save the xml file to my Hardrive.

A friend of mine was showing me something a couple of days ago and he was able to save all relevant files from a website to his Hd, then he was able to view the xml....

I havent created my own flash app. Ive bought it, Flashpanorama player supply you with a pano.swf, along with the rest of files needed.

davidj
10-13-2008, 05:34 PM
if its true xml it will open in the browser

if its not then open it in note pad

if it wont open in either of these then its not xml

africano
10-13-2008, 05:35 PM
cheers for all the help...Ive finally sorted it out... When I view source and located the xml and then tried to open it it would give me an error...but if I right click on the error page and view source it diesplays the full xml!!...

Cheers for all the help once again!