PDA

View Full Version : Economy in the crapper

Zing
10-09-2008, 05:35 AM
Ok I have a question. Is it me or is this economic bailout just a really bad idea? When I was in collage I did a paper about the fall of the global economy, while i didn't predict this type of melt down I did asked the question. What if there was a stock market collapse and the government had to step in?

I worked in an office for a financial advisor at the time and he stated to me that the time for a stock market downfall was in the very near future. The numbers to this plan just suck. We are bailing out the idiots with money that should go to the people. So I came up with a better scenerio:

1. Lower all mortgages and loans to 4% regardless of credit. (this includes automobile and credit cards)

2. Force out the oils companies. (freeze their procing at $2.00 a gallon)

3. Stop property Taxes. If we bought the property why should we have to continue buying it from the government for the rest of out lives.

4. Let wall street fall on its face. Create a new system that is not controled by stock.

oh crap I must be dreaming again. this means the government would actually care about us as a people. What the hell was i thinking?????

Anyone else feel the same way?

edbr
10-09-2008, 05:57 AM
$2 a gallon, curious how much is it in the UK now In Indonesia its about 64 cents US a litre, cigarettes,not that i smoke, about $1 a pack,

davidj
10-09-2008, 06:12 AM
5.80 = smokes per pack of 20

1.20 = Ltr (fuel);

average house price is 200,000

[to convert to US dollars just double the values]

edbr
10-09-2008, 06:15 AM
and i was thinking of visiting!
does any one smoke anymore there? my CJ7 jeep would not get used often either.

davidj
10-09-2008, 06:21 AM
just given up my car and i love my cars

chucked the ciggies about 3 years ago (but still crave)

on the property ladder but mortgage is nearly 1000 mth

domedia
10-09-2008, 06:24 AM
Ok I have a question. Is it me or is this economic bailout just a really bad idea? When I was in collage I did a paper about the fall of the global economy, while i didn't predict this type of melt down I did asked the question. What if there was a stock market collapse and the government had to step in?

I worked in an office for a financial advisor at the time and he stated to me that the time for a stock market downfall was in the very near future. The numbers to this plan just suck. We are bailing out the idiots with money that should go to the people. So I came up with a better scenerio:

1. Lower all mortgages and loans to 4% regardless of credit. (this includes automobile and credit cards)

2. Force out the oils companies. (freeze their pricing at $2.00 a gallon)

3. Stop property Taxes. If we bought the property why should we have to continue buying it from the government for the rest of out lives.

4. Let wall street fall on its face. Create a new system that is not controled by stock.

oh crap I must be dreaming again. this means the government would actually care about us as a people. What the hell was i thinking?????

Anyone else feel the same way?

Seems to me there is mess for sure..I'm not really optimistic about the future at all..

To your points:
1. I'm not that smart to know if it's right, but I think today some major players lowered the loan rent to try to help out the situation.

2. Oil is an international market. There's no way to force price. OPEC runs the show afaik.

3. Agree

4. Seems to me that the problem (in the US) was that alot of people got loans that they could not pay. There was political reasons behind this which I'm not going to get into, but it kinda reminds me of the yuppie period in the 80's where the banks were throwing money at you.

Now here's another question:
whether you work freelance or in an agency or in an inhouse web team.. how do you think this is going to affect you? I think we're going to see alot of companies packing down real quick. This could be your clients, or the companies your client serve, or your own company. Money is going to be tight for sure I think.

How do you guys outside the US see this affect you, because I'm sure it does, even thought it might got started in the US.

edbr
10-09-2008, 06:27 AM
wow, im on 10 years now without the weed, but there are times i get a pang

im guessing my weekly massage would cost more than 5$ too then

davidj
10-09-2008, 06:40 AM
just moved from the car retail business to the environmental business

good move a think

Zing
10-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Now here's another question:
whether you work freelance or in an agency or in an inhouse web team.. how do you think this is going to affect you? I think we're going to see alot of companies packing down real quick. This could be your clients, or the companies your client serve, or your own company. Money is going to be tight for sure I think.

Well I can tell you this. I have been in the business of graphic design for some time, which goes to say marketing / advertising for the most part. I haven't felt any of decline in business, YET!!!!! But I have been able to do yearly contracts for things such as ad campaigns, publications on a monthly basis and media kits for all kind of companies. But most of my work comes from repeat customers and I also sublet for many graphic and print shops. So I stay pretty busy. But I have also seen a great decline in the large dollar ads, I'm getting lots of brochures and business card and so on. But not getting as many billboards and posters. But I'm still doing ok so far.

Hey DJ I have had the same problem with a high mortgage for a while. But recently got refinanced really low. I actually cut my mortgage by 60% and I just got my car paid off. Thank god! Needless to say I will not be looking for a new car anytime soon. But its an SUV so the gas is a bit of a bitch.

But Yes, I do believe we will see a decline in business soon enough. The campaigns are getting smaller!

Corrosive
10-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Well I can tell you this. I have been in the business of graphic design for some time, which goes to say marketing / advertising for the most part. I haven't felt any of decline in business, YET!!!!! But I have been able to do yearly contracts for things such as ad campaigns, publications on a monthly basis and media kits for all kind of companies. But most of my work comes from repeat customers and I also sublet for many graphic and print shops. So I stay pretty busy. But I have also seen a great decline in the large dollar ads, I'm getting lots of brochures and business card and so on. But not getting as many billboards and posters. But I'm still doing ok so far.

Hey DJ I have had the same problem with a high mortgage for a while. But recently got refinanced really low. I actually cut my mortgage by 60% and I just got my car paid off. Thank god! Needless to say I will not be looking for a new car anytime soon. But its an SUV so the gas is a bit of a bitch.

But Yes, I do believe we will see a decline in business soon enough. The campaigns are getting smaller!

I think that on-line will be one of the last to get hit. You will see TV and newspaper advertising going first (and it is in the UK). On-line and radio advertising are relatively cheap by comparison so companies will advertise there, where they can get the most impact for the least amount of money.

It will hit us all though :x

domedia
10-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Any business that relies on some kind of line of credit or loans to cover short term expenses are in the danger zone here in the U.S. Good luck no getting a new loan now. :-/

Corrosive
10-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Any business that relies on some kind of line of credit or loans to cover short term expenses are in the danger zone here in the U.S. Good luck no getting a new loan now. :-/

Apparently our Govt advised local and county councils and the police to 'spread their risk' but invest our taxes in overseas banks. So where did they invest? Iceland. :x