PDA

View Full Version : Navigation based on web site structure

foxtrotfrog
10-07-2008, 06:12 PM
Perhaps I am not looking in the right place, I am moving from frontpage to dreamweaver. One thing I haven't been able to find in dreamweaver is a way to do site navigation based on structure as I could do in frontpage.

By adding a page to the navigation structure in frontpage, the page would appear automatically in all of the navigation bars on the appropriate pages.

I can use CSS to structure the look of the navigation bars, but can I make it so that adding a page can be an automatic update?

I'm finding it tedious to update each page when a new page is added, and of course there is always the increased chances of making a mistake.

I subscribe to Lynda.com for training, so if there is a lesson there I need to look at, I would appreciate the direction.

Thanks

Corrosive
10-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Perhaps I am not looking in the right place, I am moving from frontpage to dreamweaver. One thing I haven't been able to find in dreamweaver is a way to do site navigation based on structure as I could do in frontpage.

By adding a page to the navigation structure in frontpage, the page would appear automatically in all of the navigation bars on the appropriate pages.

I can use CSS to structure the look of the navigation bars, but can I make it so that adding a page can be an automatic update?

I'm finding it tedious to update each page when a new page is added, and of course there is always the increased chances of making a mistake.

I subscribe to Lynda.com for training, so if there is a lesson there I need to look at, I would appreciate the direction.

Thanks

Hi. You need a Dreamweaver Template file (.dwt) it will automatically update your pages in the way you want. I am in the process of writing a quick guide if you can bear with me for an hour or so?

Corrosive
10-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Hi. You need a Dreamweaver Template file (.dwt) it will automatically update your pages in the way you want. I am in the process of writing a quick guide if you can bear with me for an hour or so?

Sorry that took a little while longer. Look here http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/dreamweaver-templates.php

foxtrotfrog
10-09-2008, 08:24 PM
I am using templates for all my pages, but that doesn't seem to update the CSS structure when I add a page. On what would be 'child page' navigation in front page, I have to go and ad each page to every page.

If I add a page and put the update into the template navigation area, it does not update pages, though it says it does. It lies.